Pony Bottle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This thread had 7 posts before the bitching started. That's got to be some kind of record. Even for a pony thread.

Yes, but it went straight to personal rather than debating the values (or lack thereof) of a pony. Surely we also deserve extra points for that! :)

Yes, but it went straight to personal rather than debating the values (or lack thereof) of a pony. Surely we also deserve extra points for that! :)

Very true.

ummmm.....REALLY new poster here. Been thinking about getting a pony setup...I haven't done much diving past 80, but as I progress I get more invitations to go on deeper dives. I'm AOW, Rescue, and EAN certified but inexperienced enough to double and triple check my math and ask the opinions of others. I also have done well thus far with gas management, and have never run into an out of air situation. However, I do realize that to err is human and to forgive is not the nature of gas physics. I realize that sometimes equipment fails. I have a spare reg, so the cost would only be that of a cylinder and some hardware. My two personal gurus here at home - both divemasters - are equally divided on the issue.

All these thoughts are fodder for my consideration. I also really like the phrase, "and the pony you rode in on."

So what say ye, folks. To pony or not to pony?

So what say ye, folks. To pony or not to pony?

Asking this question is like opening Pandoras Box. So prepare yourself.

One school of diving that I am aware of is anti-pony. Its adherents are well-represented on this board and they believe firmly in what they were taught. They will not allow for the possibility that in any circumstances a pony is a good idea. They also do not believe in solo diving. One of your diving guru's may have been a practitioner.

On the other hand, at least PADI and NAUI teach that there is a place for a redundant air supply (i.e., a pony) in diving, especially with deep dives. The choice is really up to you.

Personally, I like the idea of a redundant air supply but at this stage in my diving I am not into doubles. I therefore opt for a pony on some dives.

Dives on which I believe that a pony is reasonable are: deep, cold, solo, or any combination thereof. I may well have missed something.

My opinion may be valid, or you may think it BS. The best advice that I can offer is that, if you choose to dive with a pony, practice deploying it and stowing it regularly. Since a pony has a small capacity it will run down quickly. I top mine off from my main tanks with a device such as this: Tank to Tank Equalizer With Gauge reviews and discounts, IST

Safe diving.

Yeah what Mpet said.
Your also going to see the debate between slinging and mounting your pony tank. I personally mount it to my main tank. I find that better than slinging as sometimes I need to get low to grab a lobster. There are benefits and drawbacks to both styles.

ok thanks how about mounting it on the main tank

IMO

Generally more expensive hardware
Based on watching others more work setting up
Higher center of gravity while diving
Out of sight and reach to some extent depending on your configuration.
You can't hand it off.
Not as able to make it a last minute addition
A sling configuration can grow and become a stage or set of redneck independent doubles.

Yeah what Mpet said.
Your also going to see the debate between slinging and mounting your pony tank. I personally mount it to my main tank. I find that better than slinging as sometimes I need to get low to grab a lobster. There are benefits and drawbacks to both styles.

I don't hunt bugs (wish I could but they don't live in lakes), so that is not an issue to me. I have tried tank-mount and slinging and have opted to sling. Try both. Turn the air on and off with both setups. Deploy and stow with both setups. Then choose what works best for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
How long until someone posts the beating a dead horse smiley? I'll Take 9:47 EST in the pool.

Why would someone do that? This is a serious topic that needs to be discussed in a calm civil and mature fashion.

Back
Top Bottom