Pony Bottle weighting question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zesty

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am getting ready to dive dry with a pony (19 lbs with air), and am wondering if anyone removes their "normal" weight when they dive "ponied". Would seem like the right thing to do, right up to the point where you had to give someone your pony and suddenly were 19 lbs too light?!

While the pony may weigh 19 lbs on the dry it will only be a few pounds negative if submerged. Even then, you keep the weight that lets you hold a safety stop without the pony/stage/deco bottle or anything else you may "loose".

I weighed my pony to see how much weight it would add( less the buoyancy 14lb. - 1.5lb. aprox 12lb.s) then subtracted that from my weight belt. It would only become buoyant as it emptied.Why would you give someone your pony ? As its your redundant air source at best you would let him "buddy breath" off it as you both ascended.

Thanks for the quick responses. I would give my pony up in a direct assent with safety stop to allow my buddy some comfort and control and to protect me. In the event he decides to panic - I am removing myself from the equation. My buddies and I have a very clear understanding with each other - we are there to help, but will not endanger each other if a situtation goes from bad to worse

So is this plan designed for the start of the dive
when everyone is geed up or at the end when
everyone is tired and their bottles are empty

30cf pony - set up as stage bottle clipped to BC

The weight question is to properly manage buoyancy without endangring me if I had to loan my pony to someone

I use a 30cf Catalina pony. I was able to drop 4 lbs using it, but if your idea is to be safe if you give it to another diver you won't want to drop the full amount otherwise you'll instantly be too light. If you are also getting low on air when this happens, you could have a problem controlling your ascent/staying down. You may need to run a little heavy. Best bet would be to experiment with a tank with @ 500 psi and handing the pony off then, maybe at the end of a dive after your safety stop.

30cf pony - set up as stage bottle clipped to BC

The weight question is to properly manage buoyancy without endangring me if I had to loan my pony to someone

If there is a possibility of you handing off your pony then you need to keep the same amount of weight as you have now. It's obvious if you think about it :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom