Pony bottle skills

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OK, so I should only dive with buddies I trust. Before I trust them I probably need to see how they react to an actual s**t hits the fan emergency situation, not just simulated emergencies because people react differently under stress. While waiting for such a real emergency to happen I can take my chances or maybe carry my own redundant air source. A question for you doubles divers that believe the use of the pony is just evidence of a lack of buddy diving ability, do you use an isolation valve and an extra regulator or would you think that was just evidence of poor team skills.

Michael, the advice you received to sling the pony is very sound as are the suggestions that you think of a 40 and a readable SPG.

grf88:
OK, so I should only dive with buddies I trust. Before I trust them I probably need to see how they react to an actual s**t hits the fan emergency situation, not just simulated emergencies because people react differently under stress. While waiting for such a real emergency to happen I can take my chances or maybe carry my own redundant air source. A question for you doubles divers that believe the use of the pony is just evidence of a lack of buddy diving ability, do you use an isolation valve and an extra regulator or would you think that was just evidence of poor team skills.

Michael, the advice you received to sling the pony is very sound as are the suggestions that you think of a 40 and a readable SPG.
I use an isolation manifold and backup reg in case of reg failure or tank failure. While both are rare, I am prepared for them without having to carry an extra tank and reg that I hope to never use. To me, diving with a pony is like keeping a spare gas can in the back seat of your car. Sure, it's there if you need it, but simple trip planning and watching your gauge/knowing your car's milage works very well.

doole:
I teach that if you're more than one full breath away from your buddy, then you're diving solo - and I don't teach diving solo. If they were to close their eyes, I might smack'em on the head and tell them to quit it.

I also teach that you need to dive with buddies you can trust.

Solves any problem that I can think of, and solves it within the system - and without spending more money.

I agree it is prudent to teach new divers to stay close to their buddy. I have a different perspective about everything else we discussed.

If you move into tech training some of the ideas you currently have about gear, redundancy, and problem solving will change.

--Matt

I use an isolation manifold and backup reg in case of reg failure or tank failure. While both are rare, I am prepared for them without having to carry an extra tank and reg that I hope to never use.

I carry a pony for much the same reason. Admittedly I have an extra tank that can not be used as part of my dive plan but I also do not have to hump doubles for every dive, and as I get older that is an important consideration.

grf88:
but I also do not have to hump doubles for every dive, and as I get older that is an important consideration.
:D
I'll be 46 tomorrow and I even use doubles for shore diving. I'm not in perfect shape, in fact the only exercise I get seems to be from diving, but I got used to diving doubles and I like the safety factor as well as knowing wherwe everything is without looking. I still have a single tank setup with H-valve so I can use the same regs I use on doubles, but I've only dived it three times in the past ten years.

webmonkey:
Originally Posted by Web Monkey
If anybody is thinking about getting a pony, make sure you get a full-size pressure gauge (a 6" hose works nicely), since the little button gauges are pretty much unreadable underwater)

doole:
I don't even know about that. Who cares how much air is in it? If you've put yourself into a position where you need it and there isn't enough in there, it doesn't matter anyway, 'cause y'ain't never gonna need it no more!

Having a readable gauge is the difference between a normal, relaxed ascent, and wondering if your next breath will be your last (which ironically enough, will increase your SCR).

Terry

I'll be 46 tomorrow and I even use doubles for shore diving. I'm not in perfect shape, in fact the only exercise I get seems to be from diving, but I got used to diving doubles and I like the safety factor as well as knowing wherwe everything is without looking. I still have a single tank setup with H-valve so I can use the same regs I use on doubles, but I've only dived it three times in the past ten years.

Hi youngster, I am glad that you agree that a redundant air supply is still a good idea when you dive singles. None of the options for a redundant air supply are bad it is just that some people take a different route. My only argument is with people who think carrying a redundant air source is always unecessary because we should have a great buddy who is always there. Reality is that we do not always have a great buddy and sometimes they may not be close when we need them.

MaxBottomtime:
:D

IMO if you need reduncy, THAT'S how you get it.

Finally! Somebody who speaks my language.

Even if he IS ten years younger than me...

(PS Happy birthday!)

doole:
IMO if you need reduncy, THAT'S how you get it.

Finally! Somebody who speaks my language.

Even if he IS ten years younger than me...

(PS Happy birthday!)
I forgot to mention that on the rare occasions that I dive my single 95 I don't go deeper than I could make it up with a blown O-ring. I've been diving doubles so long that I'm actually nervous diving with a single. :D

MaxBottomtime:
To me, diving with a pony is like keeping a spare gas can in the back seat of your car. Sure, it's there if you need it, but simple trip planning and watching your gauge/knowing your car's milage works very well.
NO!

By definition one can't plan for an emergency. That extra gasoline can doesn't mean a whole lot for city/suburb driving, but it sure does when you're out in the boonies. The whole point of a redundant air supply is to replace a main air supply failure; every other reason given for not using it is rationalization. That's it.

Back
Top Bottom