Pony bottle rentals

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I chose a 19 because it will get you to the surface from 100' with all necessary stops, assuming 2x SAC. However, the 19 is barely noticeable slung in front, so for future versatility I'd chose a 40.

I chose a 19 because it will get you to the surface from 100' with all necessary stops, assuming 2x SAC. However, the 19 is barely noticeable slung in front, so for future versatility I'd chose a 40.

2x SAC? The "average" SAC is 0.75 approximately. Twice that would be 1.50. at 100 fsw (4 atm) you would be consuming 6 cf / min. @ a safe ascent rate of 30 fpm in one min. you would drain 1/3 of that tank.

Now you would be at 70 fsw, with a SAC of 1.50 (assuming still 2x your average SAC rate) you would no be consuming gas at a rate of 1.50x3.12 ATA - so 4.68 cf p/min. So in the first 60 ft of your ascent you've consumed 10.68 cf out of the available 19 cf. and you still have 40 ft. to go and you still haven't completed a safety stop.

See where I'm going? :) 19 cf. *may* get you to the surface, but a 30 or 40 cf. bottle is a far better choice. A good buddy is an even better choice.

Mike,

I pondered around with the choice of what pony to get for my applications. I owned a 13cf steel that I never used and I sold it. Then I flew out to Florida and did boat dives, the Floridians used 19 to 30 cf tanks for solo diving, photographers...

Because I was in Boynton Beach FL, I drove over to www.diveriteexpress.com and spoke to them regarding which pony to get, I ended up getting the 19cf pony with harness setup with DIN valve.

I owned already an extra 1st stage and an Egress octo, slapped it on when she arrived and have been really happy with overall size and ease of attachment.

The 13cf was too short and stubby as I tried it out and didn't like the way it felt, probably would be okay if attached to the back tank.

I plan on using my 19cf pony for boat dives in which I dive to about 100 feet. For shore dives in which I'm not reaching beyond 60 feet, I dive the rule of thirds and rely on close contact with my buddy.

Anyway, I took these pics of my pony setup so you can get an idea if you feel the tank is a beast or will fit your applications. I did a pic of no pony then added the beast to my setup. You are welcome to diving the beast next time I'm down there.

MG

2s7cjl0.jpg

2v14yyx.jpg

35datja.jpg

oku1cl.jpg

2w6apt2.jpg

Nice PJ'S Mikey.....:rofl3:

Mike Miller.
Call Dolphin and as Rick Rowett if he can help you out, Tell him you are looking into tech and he will be your best friend!

Hey Jim,

No laughing at my PJ's, I don't get off of work until 11pm so it's bed time for this wanna be diver... :D

Mike Miller.
Call Dolphin and as Rick Rowett if he can help you out, Tell him you are looking into tech and he will be your best friend!

I already talked to the rental guy at Dolphin (I really need to get better at learning names) and he told me they didn't have pony rentals. I would be surprised if they let me jump in the pool with some but I'd kinda like to do several full dives with each configuration. Since I don't anticipate needing it for quite a while I've got time :D

Jim if you are working street corners, you get no credit for being up that late, you cannot mix work with pleasure... :)

Mills,

Why do you need to rent from Dolphin when you have Robin that will rent you the 13cf, Dannobee the 30cf and I have the 19cf that you can try anytime you like?

I seriously don't think you will need to try the 6cf or the 3cf, they are the Spare air variety and lots of divers frown on their capabilities...

Back
Top Bottom