Pony bottle: Remove first stage after dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Solotor

Registered
Reaction score
Do I need to unscrew the first stage of my pony bottle after a dive or can I leave it there.

I think that after releasing the pressure, water could sip into the first stage air canal if I stored the pony bottle with a wet first stage attached. Right?

On the other hand, the first breath of air during the pre dive check would clear that water right away.

What do you think?

no reason to remove it.

Leave it on
Keep the regulator pressurized
Dunk the whole thing in freshwater to rinse

leave it on there unless you're filling or storing it. If it's DIN, make sure to unscrew it regularly as salt builds up in the threads *consider end of each day*, same with yoke screws.
No different than how we treat deco or stage bottles

I treat the pony setup just like I treat the main tank/reg. setup, full disassemble, rinse and put away.

I second the opinion of leave pressurized the entire time. Get home dunk in bathtub... let it sit ...purge some air from the secondary while dunked under water in tub....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom