Pony Bottle - New User Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

With a 19, I sling it on the left and remove 1 lb from the right. The good thing about the 19 is that the length is what I consider a minimum for slinging - it rides well and I don't usually even notice it is there. It also doesn't go positive when it is empty. I charge it and take 3-4 breaths then shut it off. Reg is stored at the valve like a stage and I leave my primary reg set with both 2nd stages. I've finished a dive on my octo since my primary was breathing wet - it worked but was annoying having to purge the water every other breath. Going to the pony would have ended that dive if I had eliminated the octo. My Little Pony isn't part of my standard kit and only goes when I don't have my regular dive buddy, I'm going solo, or I want to refresh the skill.

Well seems like no one does it the same.. I dive with 19cu pony/stage bottle every dive.. cross slinging it with the 2nd clipped of to the neck of the pony and the spg on a 4 inch hose.. The bottle lays really flat against my chest and is easy to use.. charge the regulator and turn off... I keep my wieght the same all the time.. it's a waste of time playing around every dive.. A pound or 2 is not a big deal.. The biggest problem I see is people that can't stay down to do a Deco or safety stop when they get down to 400psi... I breathe down a 1000psi at the tail end of every dive.. Then go back on the back tank for the end.. I think you should use it at least once every few dives so it's second nature.. If you dive with the post closed. You need to be swapping out the regulators as you open the valve.. A good trick is to crack the valve a few times though out the dive so you always have a breath in the hose..

Just having a pony is not enough.. you have to be very good at using it..

Jim.....

Hi all
I just ordered a 19cuft pony from my local diveshop. It comes with a tank mount bag. I have a few questions

1. Will I need to add trim weights on the other side of my tank to offset the pony?

Probably not for an AL19. At most you'll maybe want to redistribute whatever lead you already use in pockets or a belt, so that you have a pound or two more on the non-pony side than the other side.

2. I assume that I will be able to carry less (lead) weights since the pony will now count as weight. Is that correct? Any idea how much less?

My AL19 is negative 1 pound, 11 ounces when full in fresh water including a Thermo provalve. The regulator (a Conshelf Supreme DIN) is an additional 1 pound 0 ounces negative, also in fresh water. I use 3 pounds less lead. I would imagine your situation will be very similar although there is some variation among cylinders, valves, and regulators.

3. Is there a standard place on the BCD to keep the pony second stage? Should I put the pony reg where I normally keep my alternate (and put alternate somewhere else)?

There is no standard practice and the various placements are controversial. Perhaps the most common configuration for experienced divers using back-mounted pony cylinders is to use an Air2 (or other competing integrated inflator and 2nd stage) as the secondary regulator on the main cylinder, and place the pony regulator in any of the locations where a secondary would usually go.

The approach I use is to sling the pony as though it were a stage cylinder, and stow the pony regulator on the cylinder itself. This reduces the hazard of inadvertently breathing off the pony regulator when intending to breathe off the primary gas supply. It also readily allows an SPG to be used on the pony cylinder.

4. Assuming I dont need to utilize the air in the pony, can I leave the air in the tank for a full year between visual inspections?

Yes, but you should practice ascents on the pony cylinder more often than once a year.

Is there any thing else about the new pony that I should be thinking about?

There have been multiple fatalities where a primary cause of the accident was the diver confusing the pony regulator with the primary regulator, leading to an OOA emergency at depth once the pony cylinder is exhausted. I am aware of one fatality that occurred because the dive commenced with the primary tank valve shut, and another where the main regulator was lost and trailing out of reach of the diver. In both cases the diver made the additional mistake of starting the dive while breathing off the pony regulator, and was then unable to resolve the problems with the primary air supply at depth.

Be aware of this hazard and design your rig to prevent it. I believe the best approach is to use a slung cylinder, with the regulator charged and off (valve closed). This configuration has an excellent track record in technical diving, and has visual and tactile differences, as well as providing no air if used unintentionally since the valve is shut.

I've seen many pony users say that they remove their main alternate and use it as their pony reg. You still have two regulators...it's just that you add a second first stage and air source.

You will have to decide two things before you do this:
1) Whether doing that meets your implicit commitment to your buddy to be able to share air
2) Whether you are comfortable giving up your own secondary, which you may want if you loose a mouthpiece or have a 2nd stage freeflow.

Add in different color mouth piece and different color hose also come to mind as being helpful... Like I said before.. use the damn thing or don't have one... The key to safe diving is being able to make use of the safety gear we have.. A pair of line cutters rusted closed is not going to help you if you get wrapped in fishing line...

Jim...

For me, slinging was the preferred option. Yes, it is a slightly more cumbersome on the surface compared with a back mount but if you're stage rigging it mostly disappears once you're underway. The SPG is positioned so it is right there for an easy visual check and you won't be confusing regs as it is again, right there at the valve. If it is dribbling some gas, you will know it. Stage rigging also allows you to unclip it and pass it off if needed - that is something a Pony Tamer (back mount) will allow too but I really like the idea of having the valve/gage/reg where they can be monitored. The only additional comment I'll make is if you decide to go with the in-line shut off and leaving the tank valve open then you really are driven to use an OPV on the 1st stage. A creep in your IP with no relief out of the 2nd stage is a bad day. Charging then shutting the valve works for me - cracking the valve occasionally is a great habit

When I got a pony, I decided to sling it as per SB consensus. Never bothered tank mounting it. The second stage is secured to the pony with a tank band. Impossible to confuse it with the main second stage or octo.

I also dive with the pony valve OPEN, ready to use. In an emergency situation, I'd rather not test my brain to see if I remember to open the valve.

Over time the pony will leak a little air, either through predive checks, freeflows, etc. No problem. When your main tank is full, use an equalizer hose to top off the pony.

Necklace the pony 2nd stage unless you are already running a necklaced 2nd. . You can sling it it or back mount it, just verify it is on if it's on your back. If you are running a GUE style rig you should clip it to your left d-rings and treat the 2nd stage like a deco reg, but I would leave the valve on.

However back mounted (clamped to the main tank) will cause issues in a lot of dive boats. Slinging is easier in those situations.

I've been carrying a 19cf pony bottle for solo dives here or in the North Atlantic, and also when diving in the Caribbean with a dive master led group because when I've got the flexibility (no buddy to stay with), I tend to go exploring swim throughs, and I'll take an occasional dip down to below 100' just to convince myself it's not worth it because there's never anything down there. Anyway I strap it to one side of my main tank, I don't like the whole "sling" loose tank arrangement. I'll drop 2 lbs from my total weight and shift 1-2 lbs to the side opposite the pony. I mount it upside down so I can reach the valve if I need it, and the regulator is attached to a rubber necklace I wear around my neck so it's right below my chin. There's a pressure gauge on it but I can't see it, but I don't need to see it because if I'm using it I'm headed to the surface or to the nearest diver regardless of how much is in there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom