Pony bottle attachment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dave in PA

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I do not want to debate the values or uses of pony bottles on this thread, there are plenty of them.

I want to know if anybody has come up with a DIY way to rig a pony. I thought about using two belts/straps, looped around both primary and pony with either a keeper clip or squared ring in between the bottles. I was thinking about a pair of weight belts or straps made out of neoprene coated fabric to prevent slippage. Either way it should be less clunky than the brackets and pins.

What do you think? Any drawbacks? What type of buckles would you use?

Dave:
Either way it should be less clunky than the brackets and pins.
If I were going to do it myself, I'd take a block of aluminum and cut out a shape similar to that of my X-bracket. It's permanently clamped to the pony and I just thread my tank belt through it when gearing up. The mounted pony is rock solid.

I'm not trying to talk you out of fashioning your own, but have you tried the X-bracket? Do you find it lacks stability? What size pony are we talking about?

I'm, looking at a 19cf pony, I don't have it yet....just looking down the road. The brackets that are available at my LDS are the gold anodized aluminum that attach to both bottles with big worm/jubilee clamps and lock together with a pin. Or the other one clamps onto the pony and has a wire that goes around the neck of the primary and a strap with surgical tubing buckles below the BC strap. Neither looked very 'sleek' to me. I haven't tried either one, by the way. Just thinking about soimething I might could make myself.

Dave in PA:
I do not want to debate the values or uses of pony bottles on this thread, there are plenty of them.

I want to know if anybody has come up with a DIY way to rig a pony. I thought about using two belts/straps, looped around both primary and pony with either a keeper clip or squared ring in between the bottles. I was thinking about a pair of weight belts or straps made out of neoprene coated fabric to prevent slippage. Either way it should be less clunky than the brackets and pins.

What do you think? Any drawbacks? What type of buckles would you use?
I have done what you are talking about. Mine works great,it is simalar to the X bracket. I did mine with 2 pieces of alumimum cut to match the 2 tanks. One side cut to a 80cf and the other cut to a 30 cf pony. Then connect the 2 with 4 stainless posts that are threaded on the ends and bolt them to the alumimum. then I use eather 2 tank straps, one on each tank or one strap and a couple of stainless hose clamps on the pony. Basicaly its an X bracket but home made.

Dave:
The brackets that are available at my LDS are the gold anodized aluminum that attach to both bottles with big worm/jubilee clamps and lock together with a pin. Or the other one clamps onto the pony and has a wire that goes around the neck of the primary and a strap with surgical tubing buckles below the BC strap. Neither looked very 'sleek' to me.
Have a look at the x-bracket, on the reef scuba web site. I think it's very sleek, minimalist in fact.

Fin on,
Bryan

Just curous, how much savings is there making you own bracket?

Now...I don't want to start a debate on a style of diving here, so I'm ONLY posting this link because it has some great step by step photos and instructions:

http://dir-diver.com/en/equipment/stagebottle_rigging.html

I know that a lot of pony tanks are mounted on the main tank with a bracket system...but this is a cheap, quick and easy way to do it. You can get most of the materials from your local hardware store pretty cheap. We use this method for our deco bottles (40CF aluminums....).

You would be surprised how comfortable it is - you don't even notice the tank is there - it just floats nice and comfy on your side, under your arm.

This way, you have an easy way to attach/detach the tank yourself...you can turn it on or off if you need to.

It's not the "traditional" way of mounting a pony bottle but definitely easier and more elegant than a lot of other routes I've seen. It lets you keep your hoses all nice and neat too. You just need a BCD that'll let you do it.

Omicron,

I stopped at my LDS yesterday to pick up a couple of things they ordered for me and I was talking to the owner. He showed me what he uses for a "pony", a 40cf al bottle with a deco mix slung like what is shown in your link. The price dif between a 19cf vs a 40cf bottle isn't that much, so I am liking the sling method better. And I'll be one thing closer to tech, when I get there.

That's what I did with my 30........

I usually carry a little Nitrox in it, so it's useful either as a "safety stop gas" or in the event of an air crisis for me or buddy. (The mix is appropriate for the max depth available on site)

Oh yeah I should mention it's clipped off to a chest D ring and a hip D ring. I would imagine you can use it with a non-backplate BC as well as long as the top D ring is close to your shoulder. It's the more important one in terms of positioning.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom