Pony Attachment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have to ask why bother with 19cft? Why not go with something smaller. You would be able to watch them drown much sooner that way.
On a deep dive, if you strap a spare air to a 13CF pony, you may actually witness the first case of a triple OOA in history.:rofl3:

My preference is to backmount my pony, preferably with a quick release mount that can be attached to the main tanks without removing the tanks from the backplate, backpack or BC. Having a snap clip on the pony if it ever is handed off is a plus. I make my own mounts but there are several off the shelf ones that meet my requirements.

I too am looking at how to mount a pony (bottle that is!).

The back-mount certainly seems the cleanest, least drag, least chance of getting banged around, and minimizes your cross sectional area (front to back distance?) so you can swim through smaller openings etc.

My question is: If you sling the bottle, does it ever "smack" you in the face during a giant stride entry?

No, it can't "smack you in the face" because you won't put it on until after you are in the water and either the captain or the mate hands it to you, or you pre-staged it on a gear line in the water before jumping in. If you can't manipulate the valve and control (or even see) the bottle it's no good to you in an emergency. Keep it off of your back and put it under your left arm.

Yes it can smack you in the face and not everybody puts it on once in the water. I'm not going to risk dropping my bottle when the captain misses, boats rolls etc... Once I'm in, I'm in. Current be damned!
My right hand hold my reg/mask on my face and my left drapes over the first stage of the pony bottle. It's no biggy but definately something to think about.

The back-mount certainly seems the cleanest, least drag, least chance of getting banged around, and minimizes your cross sectional area (front to back distance?) so you can swim through smaller openings etc.

If you're interested in swimming through tight spots that small, you probably want to re-think your whole gear set up. In this particular case, a pony on your chest where you can see it and easily move it if necessary, and where the hose is tightly strapped to the side of the tank, is much better than something sticking out on your back with a hose leading off of it. But, as I said, there are lots of other considerations before heading into very tight constrictions.

If you're interested in swimming through tight spots that small, you probably want to re-think your whole gear set up. In this particular case, a pony on your chest where you can see it and easily move it if necessary, and where the hose is tightly strapped to the side of the tank, is much better than something sticking out on your back with a hose leading off of it. But, as I said, there are lots of other considerations before heading into very tight constrictions.

Thanks Matt,

On many dives there are wrecks that have holes cut in them as swim throughs (airplanes, Frito Lays trucks, Semi Trailers and Boats etc...). When I go through the holes I try to keep my "front" reasonably close to the edge of the opening to make sure that my main tank clears.

Since the pony is smaller and if it's mounted on the "side" of the main tank (not on the back) it too will clear.

So you've backmounted your pony, got a wireless AI computer, done your entry into the water and start your dive. A few minutes in you notice that the pressure in your pony is slowly decreasing. It isn't a major leak but the pony would be close to empty by the time you want to surface so you want to correct the problem. You unclip the pony from your back, futz around with the reg for a little bit and stop the leak. Now you're ready to continue your dive. Oh wait.. you don't dive with a buddy and you've unclipped your pony from your back. Sure would be nice if you could attach it somewhere convenient, like maybe under your arm.

Thanks Matt,

On many dives there are wrecks that have holes cut in them as swim throughs (airplanes, Frito Lays trucks, Semi Trailers and Boats etc...). When I go through the holes I try to keep my "front" reasonably close to the edge of the opening to make sure that my main tank clears.

Since the pony is smaller and if it's mounted on the "side" of the main tank (not on the back) it too will clear.

Take some overhead training and I have a feeling you'll change your mind.

So you've backmounted your pony, got a wireless AI computer, done your entry into the water and start your dive. A few minutes in you notice that the pressure in your pony is slowly decreasing. It isn't a major leak but the pony would be close to empty by the time you want to surface so you want to correct the problem. You unclip the pony from your back, futz around with the reg for a little bit and stop the leak. Now you're ready to continue your dive. Oh wait.. you don't dive with a buddy and you've unclipped your pony from your back. Sure would be nice if you could attach it somewhere convenient, like maybe under your arm.

Here is the core of the problem. Folks just do not know when to call it QUITS!!!

If you see a problem. Even if it is small as describe above. IT IS TIME TO SCRUB THE DIVE and restart from ground zero (the boat or on land) after everything is thorough checked out. Remember - he/she who lives today can dive tomorrow.

What is with all these - I have a small problem so let me be rambo fix it underwater so I can contine to dive. What exactly are you trying to do or prove?

Stupid is as stupid does.

Back
Top Bottom