Pony as regular equipment for all dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BradMM

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm not yet certified but am doing my reading so that's kinda where this comes from.

Given my high SAC rate (not anxiety, have good cardio fitness - not asking for solutions) of about .67 as of last night, using the Rule of Thirds and the "dive factor" that will limit my gas available, I was wondering, why not just dive with a pony ALL THE TIME! All the better to simply get used to it for solo diving. Also, when I'm with a group and the first one low on air, I don't have to keep coming back first. I've never seen a dive operation offer anything but aluminum 80's so I wouldn't think a larger tank would be an option.

A pony is for redundant gas in an emergency. Not a good idea to plan to use it to extend bottom time. If you want more gas for your planned dive, look for a larger tank or doubles. I have slung a 63 along with my back mounted 80 to extend bottom time.

My buddy and I often carried ponies at the FGB. It ment we did not have to plan any back gas for the other diver enabling use to push our main supply a bit more, but it was still a reserve supply for emergencies.

If you are not certified how do you know your SAC rate of .67?

Years ago I got caught up in having to have a pony bottle along with redundant this and that. Since then I have learned that it is better to use my brain (via learning about SAC/SCR, understanding Boyles Law and its application to diving, as well as mastering skills) than trying to buy all sorts of equipment. And, communicating (before and during the dive) with my buddy, even if she/he is an insta-buddy.

@shurite7 I think the OP means he's not certified to dive solo.
@awap when you slung a 63 to extend bottom time, was that in addition to a smaller pony for emergencies? Also, I'm curious, do most folks use the term "pony" only for smaller, emergency bottles? That is, what made the 63 not just a big pony? Slung and not bracketed to your back tank? Or because it's intended purpose was to extend back gas? Sorry - just trying to figure out how folks use the terms.

@shurite7 I think the OP means he's not certified to dive solo.
@awap when you slung a 63 to extend bottom time, was that in addition to a smaller pony for emergencies? Also, I'm curious, do most folks use the term "pony" only for smaller, emergency bottles? That is, what made the 63 not just a big pony? Slung and not bracketed to your back tank? Or because it's intended purpose was to extend back gas? Sorry - just trying to figure out how folks use the terms.

No, the slung 63 was a poor man"s doubles. Three of us diving with a long swim to our target with max depth of 40 ft. One diver was fairly new and a bit of an air hog.' I carried the extra gas needed to get him through the dive. We started out with him on my back gas (for the long hose) and then switched at a preplanned point to each diver on his own gas for the rest of the dive.

The 63 was an integral part of our gas plan.

I like an extra cylinder along on any dive I don't want to turn into snorkeling if something significant goes wrong.

I've done photography in 10ft water where I only brought one tank, willing to count on the surface as my secondary air source.

My biggest pony is a lp131. Not sure what to call her.

Cameron

Lately , Yes , I have been using my 30 pony slung on left side weather solo diving or not .
It makes it easier to standardize my gear setup . Plus my last two insta buddies bailed out on
Me at the start of the dive. So no problem , I'm a solo diver continued on with the dive

I have a set of self inflicted rules for diving, the first and most important of which is:
  1. You are always diving solo no matter how many divers are in the water, or how many buddies you have, or how much experience they have or what you discussed during the dive plan.
Given that rule, I always carry a pony. I agree with tmorg. Standardizing your kit makes great sense.

A pony is for redundant gas in an emergency. Not a good idea to plan to use it to extend bottom time.

Unless of course, it is part of the plan. I see no issue with extending a dive with another cylinder if that is the plan. I think the issue here, as always, is getting familiar with the characteristics of the extra cylinder, making reg switches and continuing to practice rock bottom gas planning.

Someone please tell me who redacted used to be. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom