Pony advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tooch2024

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey all,

I'm looking into purchasing a pony bottle and I need some advice on size, mounting options, regulators, hose configurations, trimming the rig, and whatever else you can give me. I mainly dive in the 30'-80' range here in California but I still would like to add some redundancy to my kit without having to build a set of doubles. Thanks in advance and be safe.

Lance T.

You will likely receive many replies with many differing opinions (including those that believe that even carrying a pony advocates poor gas management). I personally think self redundancy is a great thing, although I usually dive with a buddy and have never used my pony other than training and familiarization.

I dive with an Aluminum 19 Cu Ft pony, slung like a stage bottle from my right shoulder D Ring. (I used a Dive Rite Stage strap). The butt of the tank floats up and out of the way, and I do not even try to clip it off anywhere (even though strap has a rear snap hook as well).

I usually carry it on most dives over about 80 feet, not a hard and fast rule but probably should be for me.

It does not get in the way and once you get used to it, you don't even notice it.

I personally would not go smaller however my dive buddy (Instructor) carries a 13 CU Ft. His 19 was just too big for him as he is a shorter guy than I am.

Like this perhaps-

DSCF0250.jpg

N

Why would anyone presume that a pony has anything to do with poor gas managment as opposed to a first stage failure and poor pick-up buddy (as mandated by dive boat) managment?

I dive with a 19 cu ft pony slung on left side with dive rite straps and 2"spg.
I dive with a pony for the same reason I drive with auto insurance, or live in a home and have home owners insurance. Its there if I need it, but hope never to have a need for it.
I have a way about me that I don't understand, but I am what I am.
I will go out of my way to help people, and don't ask anything in return.
I don't expect or ask anything from anybody, so this way nobody can let me down.
Jim Breslin

tooch2024:
Hey all,

I'm looking into purchasing a pony bottle and I need some advice on size, trimming the rig,

Lance T.

A Catalina AL19 is neutral when empty, so you don't have to add any weight.

I like your reasoning JBRES1, same here.

Evad, it has been argued to a fitfull stop here on scubaboard and essentially the idea is that if you need a pony then you need doubles and that the pony is insufficient to bring you to the surface and that it might lure you into extending your dive. Both sides have presented well meaning arguments and pretty much it seems agreed to dissagree. The other side is that some divers want full redundancy without the hassle and weight of doubles when diving a single tank. Doubles are not a solution some of us want to deal with, the drag and complexity and transport and did I mention the WEIGHT? Just a few weeks ago now I purposely left bottom from nearly 130 feet on my 19 cf pony to see yet again how it would perform. I made a leisurely ascent including my safety stops with air left over. If I were to be concerned about sufficient reserves and flirting with deco obligations then perhaps go to a 30 cf cylinder.

Luxfer 19 and 30 cf cylinders trim nearly neutral I believe, I have both and use themslung as pictured. I used to mount them to the tank but the stage style slinging is very easy,sleek, tangle free and just works real nice and it can be handed off.

OK, can you dispense with your octapus if you carry a pony--my answer is yes--as long as your always with the pony, if not then it is eaiser to keep the octapus in place for when your not carrying the pony unless you have the luxury of multiple rigs.

N

Nemrod:
I like your reasoning JBRES1, same here.

Evad, it has been argued to a fitfull stop here on scubaboard and essentially the idea is that if you need a pony then you need doubles and that the pony is insufficient to bring you to the surface and that it might lure you into extending your dive.

If you have over extended your dive, then obviously you need a lot more than a pony to get you to the surface. If you're of that "way of behaving", then doubles have the potential to get you into a way more untenable position.

as far as what size to use you need to figure out you gas consumption and get the correct size for that not what is "comfortable to carry".

Russ

A pony at no time or place should be used to extend your dive time, it is used to return to the surface at a safe pace in case of an OOA on the main tank. If you need more air, you need doubles, or a larger main tank. Here is the best way to calculate your need.....Find your SAC.....take your deepest dive you will ever go. say 130 feet, figure in the air consumption for your ascent plus all safety stops. then add a buffer say 10-25%. this is the Cu ft you should have on you.

Back
Top Bottom