Pony advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Check out the Faber HP steel ponies. I just got a 23 CF one. It's only about 4" in diameter and it tucks in nicely. I mount mine to my main tank with a pony tamer bracket, and I pin it from the front so I can reach back and remove it myself underwater if necessary. I put more weight on the left side of my BC, and I'm perfectly balanced with it. I can't even tell it's there while diving. I keep the pony second stage where my octo was, and I have an Atomic SS1 (Air 2).

hollywood703:
A pony at no time or place should be used to extend your dive time, it is used to return to the surface at a safe pace in case of an OOA on the main tank.

Why would you have an "OOA on the main tank," if you hadn't intended to "extend your dive time?"

Generally, at least if you sling the pony/stage, aluminum bottles are correct--not steel. Aluminum 19, 30 and I think 40 are very nearly neutral and of course for heavy dives the aluminum 80 (we are talking stages--not a pony in this case).

You might be OOA because your main rig has failed, blown an O-ring, broke a hose, free flowing or otherwise incapcitated and therefore you are functionally OOA even if some might remain.

An alternative rarely used these days to a pony for a single tank diver is using a Y valve. If either reg fails you still have a complete rig and can shut of air to the failed side. However a Y (or H) valve does not provide the total redundancy that a pony rig does as it is fully independent.

N

Hey all,

Thanks for all of the advice. I ended up getting a 19cf which I slung under my left arm. I dove it the other day and the setup worked great. Thanks again and be safe.

evad:
Why would you have an "OOA on the main tank," if you hadn't intended to "extend your dive time?"

your o ring gave out, in cold water and had a free flow, you didnt take care of your hose on your reg and one gave out. thats just a few examples. redundency is your best friend in the water.

So what is the true difference between a pony and a stage?
We always kidded that if you intend to use it, its a stage, if not its a pony :)

evad:

:confused:

Blown tank o-ring, blown tank neck o-ring, freeflow, first stage broke into two pieces, broken LP hose fitting. all sorts of reasons.

Terry

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom