Pontoon boat for diving saltwater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A pontoon boat will severely limit your days on the water as they do not handle any kind of waves at all. If you use an aluminum boat in seawater you'll also need a damn good barrier coat to prevent corrosion. You're better off waiting for a deal on a good center console, check the bank repo sites, this is a good one: National Liquidators :: Our used boat and yacht auctions Inventory

If you stick to the backwaters of the west coast , a pontoon boat is ok. The aluminum will oxidize in salt water so corrosion is actually not a problem. You'll wear the boat out before it falls apart.
We used pontoon boats for years in Kaneohe Bay on Oahu to set up the daily jap dunking tours we did. The boats had cheap plywood decks, cheap polyester floor covering, and we did all sorts of mods to them and NEVER had a problem with the boats. And I had certifiable morons driving them most days.
Plus I would regularly back up the high-speed shuttle boat to the pontoon moored on the reef, tilt the engine up, and flood the occupants of the pontoon boat both mercilessly and regularly. Nothing every failed on those things, although I did manage to knock a lot of stuff off over the side.
In fact, the only problems I had with the pontoon boats in salt water were the illegal occupants passing through the US whom the owner would hire at less-than-slave wages as divemasters. I didn't want these ******* out there, and I did all I could to help them on their merry way, hence the rinseouts. Then I could have my US, mostly ex-military peeps out there with me the way God intended.
In Hawaii, I never saw a center console boat - just not the preferred style out there. They are all over Florida - in fact, there is a 30' outside my laundry room door that kinda just landed on the pad one day and stuck around.
I love the walk-around boats way more. That cabin forward can be a good thing on some days. Center consoles are cheap I guess.
I'll bet with the way the Dalai Obama has reinvigorated the economy, you can find all sorts of cheap boats over there since everyone is moving on up.

We've had a couple of pontoon dive boats in Monterey. One was even run
as a six pack (I think it was the original Beach Hopper 1), the other was
private. The first was back in the late 80's and I don't remember much
about when they went out, but the latter was a couple of years ago, and she
had to pick her days. Her BF was a long-time dive instructor hereabouts,
so she had some good advice.

I see pontoon boats all over the place in SW Florida, including at the boat ramps. They're very popular here.

My first boat dive EVER was in St. Thomas, from a pontoon boat that was set up for diving. Worked fine, and the weather was nice.

That being said, a pontoon boat is not much fun in rough seas. Most rental places around Ft. Myers won't even let you take them into the Gulf-- they're for the back bays only, although it's no big deal to take one out on a calm day. Like others have said, pontoon boats are significantly affected by wind.

In regards to your concerns about boating on the Gulf.

I am in Charleston SC and I can say the following about the ocean. When the ocean is dead flat, which is seldom, boat size and type doesn't seem too matter. I have seen small run-abouts 10 miles offshore in such conditions. Now this is rare, but I have seen it.

I can also offer this. If you are considering a pontoon boat, also look at the "deck boats". A deck boat is very similar, but has a hull as opposed to pontoons.

Here is a video I took of a deck boat we often use in a local river.

boats are cheeep.... sold my 24 ft searay laguna with sidescan sonar and twin 135s and trailer and got a little under 7k for it... look hard on craigslist and HAGGLE HAGGLE HAGGLE! dont be afraid to turn em down good luck!

I'll bet with the way the Dalai Obama has reinvigorated the economy, you can find all sorts of cheap boats over there since everyone is moving on up.

I'm still waiting for my bailout funds so I can go buy a bigger boat (aka something I can't afford) that I will use for a year and then let get repossessed...much like the people that bought cars with the "cash for clunkers" program!

I'm still waiting for my bailout funds so I can go buy a bigger boat (aka something I can't afford) that I will use for a year and then let get repossessed...much like the people that bought cars with the "cash for clunkers" program!

That is my plan too. Now that we have the change they all voted for, massive national debt and unemployment I figure there should be a Boats for Votes campaign soon. After they get done paying each other off for voting for health care ruination maybe they can give us some of our money back to spend as we wish on what we want. :idk:

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom