Ponquogue Bridge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GeronimoDF

Contributor
Reaction score
Hello,
Just a quick question for all you Long Islanders..... Lets say high tide is at 10:41 AM at Ponquogue Bridge High on May 22. When would you get into the water?

Thanks,
Daniel

GeronimoDF:
Hello,
Just a quick question for all you Long Islanders..... Lets say high tide is at 10:41 AM at Ponquogue Bridge High on May 22. When would you get into the water?

Thanks,
Daniel

Hey Daniel,

Sorry I missed this, and hope you had fun.

A couple of things with regards to diving the Ponquogue.....

Make sure you have the time right. Depending on if you're looking at the tables for Moriches, Shinnecock, Montauk etc. you need to add or subtract time for the PB.

You also need a parking sticker or you will get an expensive ticket. They are only $20 something dollars for the year. The best place to get a sticker is Hampton Dive. They will also give you a free PB adjusted tide table that will cover the whole summer. I'm heading out to get mine next weekend and your welcome to take a ride with me.

When diving the bridge, try to get in 20 minutes or so before the tide ebbs, work your way towards the channel slowly, then get out of the channel no later than 10 minutes after ebb. You can linger in the shallows for a while, which are loaded with marine life and get a good 40 minutes total out of the dive.

Unless you go really late at night (which we do sometimes) the old bridge is always loaded with people fishing. You need to be careful to stay away from there. The fishermen really dislike divers and will not go out of their way to avoid hooking you.

I like to enter from the west side of the lot, go right under the new bridge and follow the pilings out and back. The pilings are where most of the good stuff is anyway. You can see big schools of baitfish, crustaceans galore, eels, sponges, pipefish and tropicals in the late summer.

If you get caught in the outgoing current, whatever you do, don't panic and grab hold of the bridge supports. Let the tide take you under both bridges and it will ease up a bit as the channel widens. Without surfacing, turn due South and swim hard. You'll eventually break ot of it and hit the beach. Worst case is you'll be a bit embarrased and need to slog your gear back to the lot.

Don't let this turn you off. It's really a great dive site. You just need to keep an eye on your watch and you'll never have a problem.

Jen and I are off the entire week after Memorial Day. We can head out there together after we pick up the stickers if you're up for it. Let me know.

Scott

I havn't been to the bridge in over a year. maybe two. but the reports I got for last week and week before were excellent vis, really great conditions.

As far as entry, I prefer entering on the east side of the old bridge. also exit there also. If you get caught with the tide toward the end of your dive when you get south of the end of the bridge your in the eddy on the east side of the bridge.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom