Poll Time!! When you go diving, do you make a point to get your log signed/stamped?

Do you get your log signed/stamped after every dive?

• Yes! Every time! Its important!

Votes: 25 18.5%
  • No! No one touches my log book but me!

Votes: 36 26.7%
  • Sometimes.. If its easy to do..

Votes: 50 37.0%
  • What?!? We are supposed to keep logs?!?!

Votes: 24 17.8%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I chose sometimes. If you are a new buddy, and I liked diving with you and I have my log book handy, I will ask you to sign my log. I don't go out of my way to get it signed though.

The last dives I got signed were for my Deep Specialty, other than instructors I've never seen anyone sign a log book. I just record my information myself, if I want to dive with somebody again chances are I've put their number in my phone rather than written it in my logbook.

I got my first few after OW signed but not for a long long time as I no longer keep a paper log. I have an online one at diverecord so buddies can't sign it anyway. My log is for my own use and if I really need to show dives for verification purposes I can show my computer, which records 100 dives.

I have a few people I've dived with who've asked me to sign their logs. One time I really didn't want to sign the log as the guy had split up the dive into three or four 20 min dives (I recorded it as one) to go towards the dives he needs for DiveCon. I thought doing it that way was 'cheating' but meh, he could easily forge a signature anyway so I just signed them.

I use my dive knife to get a blood sample from my buddy and dab a bit next to the "signature" block, next to a 2" head shot photo. If Homeland Security ever contacts me about my dive buddies, I will be able to supply the necessary information.

I don't keep a log book so pretty hard to get it signed. Every month or so i download my computer so ive got some sort of record of what i did but nothing more than that.

Signing logs are pointless anyway - its proves nothing to anyone.

Signed and stamped whenever possible. :)

(Not that it really matters most of the time)

On the subject, how DO agencies verify dive numbers should someone want to go for a certification requiring x number of dives?

I started diving 8 years ago and after 30 dives I stopped logging them. I must have done another 30 easily unlogged. I then quit for a while when I took up skydiving and am now back diving again and I feel now I am more mature etc in my life I would like to become a DM and then progress to Instructor in a few years. Ive already got enough newly logged dives anyway to go for DM, but its always made me wonder about this.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom