Poll: Regulator failure requiring service during recreation diving

Did you ever have a regulator (within manuf. service interval) fail in rec diving?

• No

Votes: 42 72.4%
  • Yes (please briefly detail)

Votes: 16 27.6%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JohnN

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
OK, I admit I've been a partisan participat in multiple "Regulator A is better than Regulator B" posts. However a common comment I see, goes something like "you should choose a regulator that can be serviced everywhere".

This begs the question, if this a reasonable concern or just another bit of FUD floating about in the universe

So the question goes like this:

Have you ever experienced a regulator failure during recreational (no ice, no tech) diving where the regulator was within its manufacturer's service interval that required internal parts to be replaced?

A: No
B: Yes (and a brief description of the failure mode)

---------- Post added March 8th, 2013 at 04:28 PM ----------

Bumping

Yes, adjustable second freeflowing halfway through service interval. My fault, though, as I stored it adjusted all the way in. Required a rebuild. The other second, stored adjusted all the way out, was perfectly fine.

Yes. Not even in a recreational dive. I purchases a set of new regulator, both 2nd stages free flow on dry test. After adjustment, one unit started to behave good. The 2nd unit leaks a small and slow stream of bubble. I have to send it back for replacement.

Onto the diving incident, one of the 2nd stage started to free flow slowly in a dive. It doesn't free flow in normal use, but once purge, it will have slow stream of bubble. It seems like if the purge button didn't return to normal position.

This all happened at home. That is why I always say having local support is important because both cases, I could have walk into a LDS have it fixed in short time instead of a 2 week turn around mail order.

Not that required part replacement but further adjustment was in order.

You post seems to include an escalating definition and I'm not sure what you are drilling for.

Pete

2nd stage freeflow due to a dented LP seat. Unavoidable due to a lack of "demand adjust" lever.

Pity that manufacturers don't have those snap on purge depressors like Dacor used to sell?

Not that required part replacement but further adjustment was in order.

You post seems to include an escalating definition and I'm not sure what you are drilling for.

Pete

I figure, you can't fix stupid. If you don't maintain your equipment, poo will happen. What I'm drilling for is how often maintained equipment causes problems.

Never happened to me, never seen it happen (excluding the random blown tank/DIN O-ring)

The only failure I've had other than ice or a little leakage from sand on the seat was on the first dive after a service. That has also when my tank valves leak.

I think you need to narrow your description as the "failures" reported thus far one was on a bench of a new reg etc. I think what the OP wants is equipment failure causing the dive to be called or catastrophic failure that rendered the regulator unusable. BTW, you can breath off of a free flowing regulator but you better get cracking.

N

Although I have a "brand" reg (Apeks) I recommended my son to get Hog. I look at service availability this way (and yes, YMMV):

If I am at home and a reg fails, no big deal - at most I lose an hour or two returning home and don't get to dive. If I am STUCK on getting a dive in, I can just rent one while mine is getting fixed (whether locally or sent away).

If I go on a dive vacation, I take my own regs, but again, in the event of failure I can just rent one.

For me, local service availablity is NOT a factor.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom