Poll - Best Dives in Eastern Carribean

Best Dives in Eastern Carribean

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Coondog

Reaction score
Good afternoon! I am taking the "big plunge" both literally and figuratively in May...I am getting married and then taking a 7-day Eastern Carribean honeymoon cruise on Princess! Both my future wife and I are certified, and we want to select one or two of the islands we will be visiting to dive (we don't have time to dive each island :frown:).

With that in mind, I need your combined expert opinions from those of you who have dived the following islands:

• Barbados
  • St. Lucia
  • Antigua
  • St. Maartin
  • St. Thomas

Please rank each in order of your preference.

Thank you for your values opinions!!

I haven't dove St. Martin or Barbados but of the other three St. Lucia was the best.

I'm pretty sure that St.Marteen would be the worst of the lot, but then - if you're not into nude beaches, what else you gonna' do there.

But you may not find my opinions useful, as you'd never hear me say "We don't have time to dive each island." :jump013:

But then, you'd never hear me say "I do," either... :icosm10:

To each their own but I really enjoyed diving in St Maarten. No, its not Cozumel or the Caymans but there are quiet a few nice dives there. I recommend Dive Adventures/Peilcan water sports. The will cater to the cruise ships. One dive that I love the most is called Hens and Chickens. There is a HUGE meteor crater that you can swin down into and check out the impact trail. As far as island life, I have never been to a better place. If you can, eat at a little place called Peg Leg Pub. The filets melt in your mouth like butta...

(Plus, they have nude beaches. Talk about nice surface intervals)

Everyone seems to like St. Lucia and no one mentioned St. Thomas. Both can be great places to dive, depending on the dive site. IMHO nothing matches the Marine Preserve at Anse Chastenet on St. Lucia - so if a tour goes there, definitely go there. There are several dive sites in the preserve, all of which are among the most diverse I've ever seen, but don't look for BIG animals. It's all mostly pretty small stuff with the occaisional large turtle, eel, lobster, crab, etc.

As far as St Thomas goes, I would opt for any ALL DAY operator with a preference for one that might get you over to BVI to dive the wreck of the Rhone. The diving is good to great on most dive sites but the island is very over-touristed. I really don't care for the island at all and unless you want to shop, fhagetit. Natives are often rude and you'll be warned that there are often people who will slash a camera or purse strap and take off on a scooter.

Just a suggestion but have you considered going to BVI? We spen December there diving with UBS dive services and had a great time. The difference between the US VI and BVI is immense. Any of the USVI is over touristed and the natives respond accordingly. BVI on the other hand depends on Sail boat rentals (7-14 day bare boat generally) and shore tourisim is limited. People were friendly crime low and great diving. Dont miss the Rhone both as a day dive and a great night dive.

Check out UBS at http://www.scubabvi.com/flash/index.html

Ask for Scott to lead your dive hes a great guy.

PM me if you want any more info.

If you you have the time, try and get the high speed boat to Saba from St. Maarten. You can catch the boat where Pelican Divers is. It is located at the Pelican Resort. Saba has some great dives. I also liked diving in St. Thomas and St. Lucia. I didn't think St Maarten's diving was that good. I do like St. Maarten/St. Martin island though.
Coondog:
Good afternoon! I am taking the "big plunge" both literally and figuratively in May...I am getting married and then taking a 7-day Eastern Carribean honeymoon cruise on Princess! Both my future wife and I are certified, and we want to select one or two of the islands we will be visiting to dive (we don't have time to dive each island :frown:).

With that in mind, I need your combined expert opinions from those of you who have dived the following islands:

• Barbados
  • St. Lucia
  • Antigua
  • St. Maartin
  • St. Thomas

Please rank each in order of your preference.

Thank you for your values opinions!!

Hello all. I finally found the time to spend more than a few minutes online. Thanks for all the great advice. Based on this decidedly unscientific poll, Nancy and I have made reservations to dive St. Lucia! So much to do between now and then... Thanks again to everyone!

lol... but hey, it's the Caribbean, can you go wrong? :wink:

it will be an adventure any way you look at it

(i am heading for Bonaire at the end of June... can't wait!)

Back
Top Bottom