polish

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

turtle_guy

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Would polishing the inside of a tank lead to less corrosion cause there is for water to adhere.

Idea makes sense, but I'm not sure it would be worth the cost for the extra machining. When properly maintained, aluminum tanks can go a really really long time without developing interior corrosion. I don't know what the oldest tank would be, but I've had an Al80 that's currently gone since '94 and not one tumble or failed VIP. Steel is a different animal, so I can't speak to it, although corrosion is definitely quicker and more common with steel, but since it's also a harder metal, I'd assume machining would be more costly as well.

Would polishing the inside of a tank lead to less corrosion cause there is for water to adhere.

If it doesn't adhere to some part of the tank's interior wall where would it go. Defy gravity and float in mid air inside the tank, that is what water vapor does but not liquid water. No it would not lead to less corrosion

Polishing of stainless steel marine hardware is commonly done as an effective means of reducing surface area and shedding salt water.

As Captain said the shedding effect inside a tank is meaningless.

IMO I don’t think that reducing the surface area will make any significant difference inside a cylinder. A rough surface does have more surface area for rust / oxidation to occur, but the difference in this application seems like is not worth the trouble.

Actually it would probably promote beading which would concentrate the water and hence the potential for rusting.

The rational for going from linings to a clean sandblasted interiors on steel tanks back when they gave up on linings in the early 60's was that moisture and hence the potential for rusting would be spread over he whole interior of the tank, and not concentrate itself in one spot.

Back
Top Bottom