Policewoman missing - Paris, France

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I spent the holidays in Paris on a péniche (houseboat) on the Seine. Nearby was the river police complex. It has many two and three story barges and lots of RHIBs. The police roared up and down the Seine regularly. As I walked by the complex, I noticed this.
IMG_3041.jpg

The plaque on the left below her name: "A dream far too short. I love you. Your dad." On the right: "uncles, aunts, cousins (male and female). In our hearts forever you will stay."
IMG_3042.jpg

Is 'it looked like' the same as 'we found the valve closed'?

The article is paywalled (but can be read after watching a movie trailer) and in French.
The bottomline is that pretty much all possible mistakes that could be imagined were made (including not opening the tank's valve). The unit is literally being deserted by its members, so poor the moral (and funding) is.

After google translation of the article: "New appalling discovery: the diver could not breathe air into her vest, the valve being closed when it was launched. Lack of reflexes? Lightness of the frame?" We're getting a rough translation of a news article written with the writer's views, but it sounds like the novice diver was eager to prove herself under horrible conditions including zero visibility and strong current. It wouldn't take much of a problem to make the attempt go bad, and having the air valve off could easily lead to catastrophic results. I hurriedly backrolled once with my valve off, then came up under the boat. I remember thinking "This would be a dumb way to die."

The article is paywalled (but can be read after watching a movie trailer) and in French.
The bottomline is that pretty much all possible mistakes that could be imagined were made (including not opening the tank's valve). The unit is literally being deserted by its members, so poor the moral (and funding) is.
The article seems to suggest crappy gear, low unit moral, and a toxic environment.

After google translation of the article: "New appalling discovery: the diver could not breathe air into her vest, the valve being closed when it was launched. Lack of reflexes? Lightness of the frame?" We're getting a rough translation of a news article written with the writer's views, but it sounds like the novice diver was eager to prove herself under horrible conditions including zero visibility and strong current. It wouldn't take much of a problem to make the attempt go bad, and having the air valve off could easily lead to catastrophic results. I hurriedly backrolled once with my valve off, then came up under the boat. I remember thinking "This would be a dumb way to die."

The article seems to suggest crappy gear, low unit moral, and a toxic environment.
Yea I was referring to the bit you mentioned:

Nouvelle découverte consternante : la plongeuse n'a pas pu insuffler d'air dans son gilet, le robinet étant fermé lors de sa mise à l'eau. Manque de réflexes? Légèreté de l'encadrement?
It says that the tap was closed. The article is saying that either she didn’t have fast enough reflexes or that they didn’t do proper checks: but the article (I assume) is probably not written by a scuba diver and it is not obvious whether she could have reach the tap if it was closed, so not too sure about her reflexes.

The article also mentions that: after seeing her raising her hands, they couldn’t pull her in so they cut her free because they thought it could have helped us to get her free from entanglement and float. But if she couldn’t inflate, they just killed her, although it is possible she would have drown regardless.

Like everyone else said, it seemed to have been poorly planned.

There was another bit mentioning that this police unit refused help from a unit to recover her body, and also they found a body at some point but the guy doing the scans forgot to write down the coordinates.

Usually I would dismiss most conspiracy theories but there are, in this story, a lot of red flags indicating that they may have tried to cover up.

I remember thinking "This would be a dumb way to die."
@DandyDon , I am glad you didn’t die and didn’t get featured in your favourite section of the board :)

Incidentally from my 20-ish dives, valve closed is the one of most common mistakes I have found during buddy checks: many people close the valve after prepping the kit and then forget to open it when putting the kit on their shoulders.

Having the valve closed is probably my biggest fear. My pre-checks are most importantly about air. Breath through both regs, fill bcd, breath through both regs again, don't let anyone touch it after, jump in!

Geezus. So tragic to hear of another death.

Having the valve closed is my probably my biggest fear. My pre-checks are most importantly about air. Breath through both regs, fill bcd, breath through both regs again, don't let anyone touch it after, jump in!
Yea same here, I always take deep breaths and check if the pressure gauge moved.

Y

The article also mentions that: after seeing her raising her hands, they couldn’t pull her in so they cut her free because they thought it could have helped us to get her free from entanglement and float. But if she couldn’t inflate, they just killed her, although it is possible she would have drown regardless.
This is absolutely not what the article says.
Once they realized they were unable to pull her back in, a diver jumped in essentially without any equipment (fins, mask and snorkel), reached down to her along the lifeline (she was basically just below the surface) and tried to inflate her BC. Because of the strong current (and the fact that the valve was off), he gave up, let go of the lifeline and was immediately carried away at the surface by the swift current. They then decided to release the lifeline that was attached to the drowning diver to hurry after the other swimmer.
It's an hair raising report....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom