poles Vs. hand held tray for gopro?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

so i understand -- so either a regular camera monopod or a hiking pole will work, using the handlebar mount? and either will possibly corrode after use. I'm assuming referring to any steel parts, not aluminum

I would just recommend the Quikpod DSLR monopod as it has a unique swiveling head...all you need is a gopro tripod adapter...I believe it uses stainless hardware to deal with salt water...Its light and packs up fairly small.

Yes, the locking mechanism inside the pole that allows you to lock it after expanding it has started to rust a bit but it's still usable. If you get a hiking pole, use the seat post/handlebar mount. If you get a camera pole, use the tripod mount.

I prefer using a tray, but those interested on using a pole, a DIY project costs less than $4: a piece of pvc pipe, a pipe cap or two (if you want to try to seal both sides), a 3/4" stainless steel screw (1" or longer) and a matching nut.

There are some < $15 telescoping poles on eBay, do a search for "camera extender" - here is a link:
camera extender | eBay

http://www.quikpod.com/quikpod_comparison_chart.pdf

quikpod has several shafts materials, both stainless steel and aluminum.

I just made mine out of 20" of PVC pipe and ULCS clamps/ball camera mount at one end.

I like how the quikpod is collapsable for topside use, but chances are my PVC pipe is more rigid panning/spinning underwater.

There seems to be a lot of different brands of stainless steel monopods, many of which should work well. Recently I used an Xshot XPS1 for 2 weeks and 30 dives in Cozumel and it held up very well. I ended up selling it to a couple from Edmonton who were staying thru the following week, so they could use it with their GoPro. I found that with the Xshot collapsed it fit perfectly into a &#8216;Hollis utility pocket&#8217; pouch which in turn fit onto a standard 2&#8221; BC belly strap. This allowed for a belly pouch that had easy access in the water and was also secure for stowage during roll entries off the boat.
I also found by inverting the image selection and allowing the camera to &#8216;hang&#8217; from the monopole with the handle partially extended I could hold the shaft at a neutral balance point which would greatly help in stabilizing the video. One of the best features I found with an extended pole was close-up&#8217;s of critters such as a Moray&#8217;s and Nurse sharks under ledges and in holes, of which I am a little timid in getting my hand 6&#8221; from their mouths (yep I am a Chicken).
I observed several other configurations that seemed to yield good results including a fixed length aluminum shaft with a handle grip and used a bicycle mount. Good luck on your trip, I hope you get some good shots.

Found what I was looking for !
GoPole.com
:wink:

Found what I was looking for !
GoPole.com
:wink:

Too expensive for what it is, you can make 10 poles with PVC pipes that do exactly the same. Spend an extra buck or two and put a bike handle grip and a eye hook for a lanyard.

good idea.
Will make it myself and do an extra dive with the money I've saved :wink:

Back
Top Bottom