poles Vs. hand held tray for gopro?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Deva

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
hello all I will be doing alot of diving in thailand starting in Dec. all ready here so getting goodies will be hard I think anyway so i was going to DIY one.
my question is 2-3' pole vs a dive try?? what are other divers having the best luck with and what do you like?
right now I thinking a poe might be the way to go? but not at all attached...
thoughts
chhers
Deva

I had both on my recent trip to Roatan. The pole was handy when I wanted to get closer to subjects and we did self portraits for our community newsletter with it. I used the tray more often as it was more familiar and I think it was more steady. The tray also allowed the use of the LCD BacPac.

Some tips with the pole. Try to get the rig to be neutrally buoyant, preset the GoPro to invert the image, and configure the rig so the camera is under the pole. The rig will be more stable.

I've found a tray to provide more stable video.

Just got the new Hero3 silver today. Will try it out in Mexico next week. Unfortunately not time to purchase accessories before I leave... Will try it out at 960 rez and 30fps. Any idea who sells the poles ? Are they commericially available in a photo store or just telescopic hiking poles ? sorry for my ignorance...

You may want both. A tray is more stable. A telescopic pole is really great for getting up close to marine organisms without scaring them away. You can place a camera 2 feet from a fish if your body is 5 feet away.. often...

Where can I purchase this type of pole ?

---------- Post added November 19th, 2012 at 09:40 PM ----------

thank you for the response. will try to find a pole before I leave for Mexico.

You may want both. A tray is more stable. A telescopic pole is really great for getting up close to marine organisms without scaring them away. You can place a camera 2 feet from a fish if your body is 5 feet away.. often...

THIS. do both.

Ummmm, "where do you buy this type of pole?" do they sell PVC pipe in Canada?

I have a telescoping monopole I bought from Amazon a couple of years ago. Also just got a pair of telescoping hiking poles from REI for $20. The seat post/handlebar mount works great on both and secures the GoPro very nicely. i use the wrist strap so I won't lose the pole. You have to practice on the stability and when you pan around be sure to do it VERY slowly. Poles barely fit in our large checked suitcase. May not fit if you have a rigid suitcase. My first pole is starting to corrode even though we rinse the saltwater off after every use.

I found the pole - monopod to be more versatile...it takes a steady hand but I prefer it. Look a few posts down for the video I put up from Cozumel ...it was done using a Quikpod brand monopod....so far, I like it very much...

As stated above, camera is more stable if mounted so it hangs on the bottom...however, you have to position it on top if taking video of yourself (pov)... I did not have much trouble with stability either way..

so i understand -- so either a regular camera monopod or a hiking pole will work, using the handlebar mount? and either will possibly corrode after use. I'm assuming referring to any steel parts, not aluminum

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom