Polartec for Drysuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

billt4sf

Contributor
Reaction score
Fayetteville GA, Wash DC, NY, Toronto, SF
# of dives
500 - 999
Has anyone used Polartec for warmth (in addition to a thermal) in a drysuit? I wanted to get something that would "wick away" sweat and provide some warmth. At first I was going to get polypropylene, but Polartec sounded good.

Thanks,

Bill

Many of the undergarments on the market now are Polartec actually. My White's ThermalFusion is polarfleece on the inside, with polarstretch on the outside and works well (even when I had a minor glove leak).

I saw a link to these folks recently here, and intend to check them out when I'm ready to expand my options: SoftWear for the Scuba Diver

I think the try and true undergarment material for Monterey water is thinsulate, 400g. It is expansive, but most people I know use them.

I am asking about what you wear UNDER the undergarment.

Also does anyone have a link to these 400g undergarments?

- Bill

I wear moisture wicking "athletic" clothes underneath that is made up of mostly polyester. Sometimes I wear a long sleeved shirt, sometimes, short sleeves. I believe Nike calls their stuff Dry-Fit. Under Armour as well as other sports wear brands have their own version of similar material.

Like Aaron, I wear 400gram thinsulate. The two brands I see of this weight thinsulate are DUI and Santi. (Google is your friend). Personally, I use the DUI XM 450.

I wear a light fleece garment with a bonded nylon outer layer, made by KamGear in Seattle. You want something with a smooth outer surface, because a lot of diving UGs have fleece or something else that isn't smooth as an inner layer. If you use fleece or something nappy for a base layer, it makes getting the actual undergarment on a major PITA.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom