Polarized glass

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

iztok

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have a slight problem with the way the glass on the unit is polarized.

If one wears polarized sunglasses on the surface you can't see what is displayed.

Yeah, this is true of many LCD liquid crystal displays. Polarized lenses filter out one plane of light for skier and boaters for example the horizontal portion. This happens with many displays. Just rotate the display 90 degrees and read the display sideways.

But I don't understand why such orientation? One would think that same orientation as sun glasses would work better.

But I don't understand why such orientation? One would think that same orientation as sun glasses would work better.

It's because of the polarization process. For lack of a better explaination, it sort of a "cross-hatch" process. When you rotate 90 degrees, against another polarized piece, it is negated. Try this, take 2 pair of polarized sunglasses and put the lenses together. You can now see through them. Rotate one pair 90 degrees and it goes dark.

J.

Johnny, I understand polarization and I know why I don't see anything with polarized glasses. I don't understand is why UEMIS polarization is 90 degrees to what one would expect in sun glasses. Sunglasses are vertically polarized while UEMIS seems to be horizontally.

It may have something to do with having a nice bright display and using less energy as to why they are using a polarized LED.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom