Poison Ivy or Skin Bends?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've heard the statement poison ivy does not spread after the oil is gone, but I have found from experience that is not true.

Damselfish:
I've heard the statement poison ivy does not spread after the oil is gone, but I have found from experience that is not true.

You can onlys peak for sure if you can prove that the oil is all gone, and exactly when the oil got to that part of the skin. It's more likely that you had touched the area without realizing it before washing the oil off, or that you didn't wash it off completely. Because the urushiol oil is not reproduced in the rash, it's impossible for the oil to spread once you've washed it off. It is possible to have further reactions to the oil in various places if you are highly allergic. My youth pastor got a tiny bit of a rash on his ankle and his face swoll up like it was gonna burst. He looked horrible all over, but the only part of him that had touched the ivy was his ankle.

Damselfish:
What happens to you may be what happens to me when my pollen allergies are acting up. I get sufficient histamines in my body that just absentmindedly scratch a spot on my arm will cause welts and hive like symptoms to appear. So it seems like the poison ivy is spreading, but it's really just your body overreacting to any minor irritation of the skin.

Deepbound, when you talk to the doctors, they will probably also ask you details of the symptoms to see if fire coral, jellyfish, or other stinging hydroids could be the cause. Not likely if your abdomen was covered by a wetsuit, but it's yet another possibility to consider. The symptoms can be very much like poison ivy.

Some is probably reaction to all the histamines. But if I have oozy poison ivy (well after initial contact been washed many times even with the special oil removal stuff they make) and put a rectangular bandaid or gauze over it, the rash will expand to a rectangular patch exactly matching the bandage.

DeepBound:
I haven't done any deco dives but I also haven't been in the woods. I dove a few times this week and it started some time this week. Not sure exactly when.

Another weird thing is that all the itchy spots are on my left side. Like my left leg, left side of my abdomen, left arm, etc.

Oh, by the way, poison ivy doesnt spread by contact, unless you still have the oils on your skin from the poison ivy plant.

Have you had chicken pox? Are the symptoms in bands? It could be scabies. That sticks to one side, itches and hurts.

What did DAN say...?

DivingCRNA:
Have you had chicken pox? Are the symptoms in bands? It could be scabies. That sticks to one side, itches and hurts.

Thanks.. doesn't seem to be any of those.

I think it might be an allergy to neoprene. I've been diving wet instead of dry the last little while so maybe thats it. Anyway it doesn't seem to be skin bends.

DandyDon:
What did DAN say...?

Oh I didn't call them. I got all the help I need right here! Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom