Trip Report Point Loma Whale (180 fsw)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

...The processing time is very highly dependent upon the quality of the model you want to build.
I was introduced to the process a couple of years ago at the DEMA Orlando seminar. I'd seen sample pictures that were cool, but the seminar really opened my eyes on how "More Input = More Output" and that means UW time, Computer time, frustration time, & just 'Lotsa" Time.

He gave an example of a high quality output he wanted to try. He was going on a 5 day vacation and set up his computer to run thinking it would take 2 days. It took almost the whole 5 days. Even then the computer could have 'hung' and he would have to start over again. But he got lucky and it completed a beautiful output.

It's a very cool process and your pictures are incredible!!

I was introduced to the process a couple of years ago at the DEMA Orlando seminar. I'd seen sample pictures that were cool, but the seminar really opened my eyes on how "More Input = More Output" and that means UW time, Computer time, frustration time, & just 'Lotsa" Time.

He gave an example of a high quality output he wanted to try. He was going on a 5 day vacation and set up his computer to run thinking it would take 2 days. It took almost the whole 5 days. Even then the computer could have 'hung' and he would have to start over again. But he got lucky and it completed a beautiful output.

It's a very cool process and your pictures are incredible!!

Thanks for the feedback and kind words.

The principles of "GIGO / Garbage In Garbage Out" and "No Free Lunch" definitely apply to photogrammetry (at least under water photogrammetry which is really the only models I work on right now).

- brett

but the seminar really opened my eyes on how "More Input = More Output" and that means UW time,

PS - This is also key -- especially when you are in 60m-100m range taking photos and your @+5 deco time is racking up quickly and exponentially.

I've had multiple cases (and I'm working on one now) where I should have stayed a little longer to get more angles on something to help align photos and decided to leave the site to avoid the "1 minute will cost you 5-10 in deco" situation.

Each time, I've regretted the decision and should have paid the deco penalty because going to back to dive sites is even more costly in terms of money and time....this is even more true when you are on a rebreather and you can usually "afford" the time vs deco penalty cost.

Live and learn.

- brett

Hi, the blog post below should answer most of your questions. I'm currently using Metashape Standard (I can't justify the cost of Pro for a hobby).

Photogrammetry Technical Details & Equipment

The processing time is very highly dependent upon the quality of the model you want to build. For example, a typical model might take 1-2 hours start-to-finish on "Medium" quality settings on my computer but take 5-6 hours on "High" or "Ultra High" settings.

I hope that helps.

- brett

Yes, that blog post was tailor-made for my questions! Gracias.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom