Point Lobos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

marpac

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Going to point lobos for the first time in min Aug.
any pointers from anyone that's been there, would be greatly
appreciated.
water temp: will a 7mm suit suffice, I hear the water is upper 40 to low 50's at
depth?
I recently recert. and conscider myself a neubie even though I'm comfortable in the water.

Thanks

A 7mm suit should be fine, especially if you have a hooded vest underneath. The water can be just a bit cooler than inside the bay, and you can easily get deeper, which also adds to the impression of colder water.

As already stated 7 mil + hood/vest should be good. We dove there last month and all of us used 7 mil with 3 mil chest/hood combo. First dive was fine - second dive I noticed the cold a bit more but nothing that would prevent me from going back. In fact, that is all I dive when in the area - even off the boat when I've reached a max depth of 94 feet.

In June the temp was 55 degrees surface, 49 below. It was a weird weather day up top - overcast, cloudy - first dive was around 10:30 with the second dive later in the afternoon - I'd have to check logs as I forget exact time.

A good hood helps. Gloves and boots - I use 5 mil. Someone already said it - inside the cove is a bit warmer but as you head outside it gets deeper and a tick colder. Lot more to know I'm sure but one thing to note is the surface kelp. It was a pretty good kick to get to our initial drop point. Something to be aware of - not sure how others handle that or if they just dive and swim under it. I'm not great at conserving air so I went over the top :)

Enjoy the dive - it is a great area.

Just note on the surface swim...
If you go straight out from the entry ramp about 30-40 yds, you should be in position to surface-swim along a sand channel that runs due north. And of course, it's easiest to pass through at high tide. Ideally, swim out until you're about even with the rocks of Cannery Point and descend.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom