Point lobos rookie

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Drewdawg1977

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi,

a bit new to diving and am headed to point lobos this Sunday for the first time. Any tips on some basic navigation to see some cool stuff? I've looked for maps, but can't seem to find any good ones. Any landmarks, Bearings etc. are much appreciated! We're going to try for 3 dives.

Cheers!

Drew

Hi,

a bit new to diving and am headed to point lobos this Sunday for the first time. Any tips on some basic navigation to see some cool stuff? I've looked for maps, but can't seem to find any good ones. Any landmarks, Bearings etc. are much appreciated! We're going to try for 3 dives.

Cheers!

Drew
Stop by Aquarius (on Del Monte) before you head down and I'll give you my chalkboard talk on finding your way around Lobos. It took me a long time to learn my way around there, and I can save you lots of grief.

Stop by Aquarius (on Del Monte) before you head down and I'll give you my chalkboard talk on finding your way around Lobos. It took me a long time to learn my way around there, and I can save you lots of grief.

@zf2nt: That's awesome of you!

@Drewdawg1977: Yeah, pick zf2nt's brain. And don't forget your c-card. You need it to check-in at the gate. Baue's Pt. Lobos map is fantastic, though for your first few dives, zf2nt will point you the way.

Need a third buddy?
I thought they recently said no more teams of three on one reservation, and now require reservations for two dive teams if three folks want to dive together?? Or am I mistaken? I understood every diver had to pay the $10 fee.

http://www.pointlobos.org/diving/dive-regulations
Diving permits are limited to the fifteen (15) teams on any one day. Each permit is for a team of two divers. Diving alone is not permitted. All divers must have a partner. Permits are only valid for the date issued.
Three of us used to come in packed into a single pickup truck (Taking up less parking), and it was nice to only have to get one reservation. The rules seemed a little more lax in the past, but too many vehicles in Whalers was often complained about.

I think you have to fill out two reservations, but in the first one, reference the third party. On the second one, reference the first party. Then you get charged a total of 30, which is fair to me. You could still come in one pick-up!

zf2nt, I have dove her quite a few times and am currently as you say, "It took me a long time to learn my way around there"

I wouldn't mind one of those chalkboard talks either!

Drew, first time I dove there, we walked up onto the bluff to check it out and where the sand channel was. We swam out half way in the sand channel took a 30 degree heading, descended and went out slowly, checking out all we could until we reached our turn pressure, then came back to the channel on a reciprocol path. That was my 10th dive and I will never forget it. There is a lot more out further, but work your way up to it and be careful, but have a blast, you will enjoy it!

I'm not sure how strictly these things are being enforced just yet...had no trouble getting a 3 diver reservation the last time I asked (a month or two ago). It could be difficult to add a third diver on short notice, but a phone call tomorrow might suffice.

Regardless...nothing ventured, nothing gained...Drew, I have dove Lobos many times and would love to accompany you if you are interested. Otherwise, a dive plan I enjoy is to kick on the surface on the left of the sand channel till you are past the bluff, or better yet the next set of rocks, take a bearing on the last rock (bird poop rock I call it), drop and dive that heading and turn around at half-air.

Have fun.

Yo,

all this GREAT info and much appreciated!

1). What time does Aquarius open?
2). When I first made the reservation, we only had 3 divers, which was allowed, but we had to PAY for 4 divers. Lobos told me that this was kind of frowned upon, since it basically meant we were using up a spot without a diver. We have since added a fourth so no big deal.

thanks again!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom