point lobos in April

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This may be helpful as a reference:

Lobos map: Point Lobos Underwater Maps
Middle Reef: Point Lobos Underwater Maps: Whaler's Middle Reef

Most newer divers stay well within Whaler's Cove for their first few Lobos dives. The only problem with this is as dannobee mentions, the viz usually isn't quite as good as outside the cove. "Middle Reef" should be a great dive - the Northern, deeper end is in about 60', the Southern, shallower end well inside the cove is about 25' and the slope is quite gentle. Compass navigation is also easy, head North to go out of the cove, head South to get back in.

If you haven't dived or swam in kelp or cold water before, it's useful to read the following:
Kelp Diving Information
New Monterey Diver Information

Gombessa just totally hooked you up!

Have fun when you come to Cali!

Now, if there happens to be huge seas that day (think BIG Pacific storm), it's possible for the surge to extend all the way up the boat ramp and into the parking lot.
That can happen on a really high tide even with a moderate swell.
Fortunately, it doesn't affect the diving much then.

Do you need a buoy at the cove? I see there's a boat ramp.

Be REALLY REALLY careful walking down the boat ramp!! They come out and pressure wash it to get the slick algae off it every month or so, but it gets very very slick and people have fallen in their gear and broken appendages. :(

I find that staying to the far left as you go down the ramp is easiest and you can hold onto the boulders. I put my fins on at the boulders right at the base, then sort of leap off the end of the ramp.

You can see in this one a dark line of algae near the bottom of the ramp, and the guy cleaning with his pressure washer.

767610260_BProY-M.jpg

Stay to the far left, and you should be good.

767610296_sb5oX-M.jpg

- Janna :)

Do you need a buoy at the cove? I see there's a boat ramp.

I think you meant a buoy or float with a dive flag that you tow around? They aren't
required in California, and would get all tangled in the kelp. And Whaler's Cove is a
no-wake zone anyway.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom