Point Lobos Etiquette

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We don't use the tables during or after our dives. Same applies to Breakwater. While the place is a boat and dive entry point - it is also used by hikers and birders. Regardless of table locations we just park and work out of our truck.

Its not that difficult to work around the space limitations and in the end it is a win win for everyone. The last thing I want is someone rightly or wrongly getting pissed off and venting on a park ranger. Before I know it - 1, 10, 100 people complaining later ruins it for all the rest of the divers.

What I am hearing is that we all pretty much self police what we do and its worked out - we can't please everyone - but that is just how we do it.

there was an incident a while back where a group brought about 3 small inflatables and were backing their trailers to park in the cove parking lot (versus up on the hill where they are supposed to).... and also setting up canopies in parking spots next to their trucks.... The rangers quickly straightened them out but not after several tourists turned back because of lack of parking.... I dare to say divers were not too popular to them that day.

I agree with No Boundaries, there should be a sign that says Whalers Cove - Beware - Inhabited by SCUBA DIVERS.
It would only be fair, since Monterey is the only place I've ever seen the "No Parking For Divers" signs. :rolleyes:

BTW, someone PLEASE post a link to these mythical X-tables I keep reading about!

....... The rangers quickly straightened them out but not after several tourists turned back because of lack of parking.... I dare to say divers were not too popular to them that day.
hubby generally very careful when diving and dealing with average joe public... they can make things very difficult if they complain to local council (ie, cant dive clovelly ocean pool in daylight anymore & I know a dive shop that no longer dives Camp Cove because they had to promise Vaucluse council they wouldnt after a incident)

we once set up for a BBQ at a public park at a public picnic table (no dive gear-all bbq but he knew we were divers) and a jogger came up to us to tell us that "this" was the weekly joggers meeting spot and we were in their spot

i was going to tell them to go and get stuffed but hubby is also an instructor working thru a shop so he apologized for being in their spot and we moved our bbq/stuff... the big girl

Last edited:
Home depot does not want to sell them anymore or something!

Back
Top Bottom