Pockets mounted on Pony bottle? bad idea?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I usually do this with my smb+reel, especially if I know im going to use it. If i dont have pocket space and want to bring a back up mask, I'll do this on the opposite side. Its protected behind the bp and streamlined. No real entanglement hazard. You can do this via the bottom holes at the small of your back as well.

I believe I'm using 6mm bungie and it is pretty secure. The middle of most masks usually is mostly silicon and very little glass so it wedges on the mask pretty well. I have a cover to protect the mask from scratches. I also recommending clipping a double ender for extra security.

View attachment 659747

Thanks!

What is this? (The vertical black strap with D rings at the end)
upload_2021-5-17_13-3-13.png

Is it the mask strap or some other type of additional attachment to the mask strap?

Thanks for the perspective.

What kind of connection hardware do you use? Is it quick link or single/double-ended bolt snap?

As for the tech shorts, did look into them, it seems almost all on the market right now are $200 shorts that's just plainly taking advantage of us divers.
(Eg this one from forth element at $200... Fourth Element Technical Shorts )

a double ender between the line and the DSMB d ring
and another double ender I have on my waist d ring to roll up the dsmb as I ascend

yeah, $200 and more is just ..
I got mine on sale for about $100

upload_2021-5-18_17-16-23.png

I don't care what anyone says, but I love these when I need to carry extra gear. Under $50 and have a connection point in each pocket to bolt snap your items in.......

Attachments

• upload_2021-5-18_17-16-6.png
    upload_2021-5-18_17-16-6.png
    117.5 KB · Views: 58
View attachment 660100
I don't care what anyone says, but I love these when I need to carry extra gear. Under $50 and have a connection point in each pocket to bolt snap your items in.......
Looks like something from the Folsom St. fair.

Mainly because I couldn't find a consistent place where to put a backup mask.

(Being a relative thin guy I don't have a lot of waist real estate to put pockets.)
Yes I can probably glue two pockets on to my wetsuit but it just occurred to me today that I can do this to my pony:

View attachment 659603

It goes on the pony which means when I dive solo (with the pony), I will have a place to put my redundant mask and anything else, regardless what suit I wear.

Is this a bad idea? Anything that could go wrong with this setup?

Maybe when I lose my pony for whatever reason mid dive?
But I keep my smb/signaling device in my only waist pocket so I still have those.
Will it interfere when you need to use the pony? Why not put it on the main tank?

Back
Top Bottom