Pockets mounted on Pony bottle? bad idea?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SaltyFrog

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Mainly because I couldn't find a consistent place where to put a backup mask.

(Being a relative thin guy I don't have a lot of waist real estate to put pockets.)
Yes I can probably glue two pockets on to my wetsuit but it just occurred to me today that I can do this to my pony:

upload_2021-5-16_21-5-57.png

It goes on the pony which means when I dive solo (with the pony), I will have a place to put my redundant mask and anything else, regardless what suit I wear.

Is this a bad idea? Anything that could go wrong with this setup?

Maybe when I lose my pony for whatever reason mid dive?
But I keep my smb/signaling device in my only waist pocket so I still have those.

It looks like a good idea.

The downside is if you don't have the pony, you don have the mask. Since I keep my spare mask in my truck and have not needed it, yours is closer if you do.

Yeah that's true but when you think about it, if I don't have the pony, I'm not solo diving, thus no need for that spare mask!

I'm wondering if the extra bulge on the tank would become an impediment for anything.

Try it when not solo, hanging up on kelp is possible but everything “can” get hung up on kelp, doubt it would be an issue.

Hang a sack down the back

full.jpg

Fits the lot

if I don't have the pony, I'm not solo diving, thus no need for that spare mask!

You gotta look at this and make your own decisions that make sense and came out of your head not someone elses

Mainly because I couldn't find a consistent place where to put a backup mask.

(Being a relative thin guy I don't have a lot of waist real estate to put pockets.)
Yes I can probably glue two pockets on to my wetsuit but it just occurred to me today that I can do this to my pony:

It goes on the pony which means when I dive solo (with the pony), I will have a place to put my redundant mask and anything else, regardless what suit I wear.

Is this a bad idea? Anything that could go wrong with this setup?

Maybe when I lose my pony for whatever reason mid dive?
But I keep my smb/signaling device in my only waist pocket so I still have those.

What about dive shorts with pockets?
Not like the APEKS ones which look bulky.
The fifth element (fourth element?) and scuba pro models are low-profile.

yeah the sack that I put can be mounted like this.
How do you retrieve stuff while in water?
Hand in back and try to feel/find things?

I have a pouch attached in the back as well
There are two spools and a DSMB in there, so I wouldn't reach back and fumble - lest one of the spools fall out.

I just disconnect it, bring it front, take out whatever then clip it to my waist band D ring.

My answer is skip it. Buy a pair of tech shorts and you’ll go have the pockets you need. Or get some glued to your wetsuit. my issue with the pocket is if monofilament gets stuck around it from the bottom, it can be hard to get untangled. It’s not highly likely, but still why add an entanglement point.

Yeah that's true but when you think about it, if I don't have the pony, I'm not solo diving, thus no need for that spare m

Been solo diving for 50+ years, haven't needed the spare mask and only bought the pony bottle when I was 60 something, for some dive profiles. I only bring the equipment I feel is necessary for the dive. YMMV.

If it is a back mounted pony, I would be worried about breaking the mask the first time the tank fell over on the boat. I think you could find a better spot somewhere else on your BC

Back
Top Bottom