Poachers Beware

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ONESPEED

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
It's about time these idiots started getting the punishments they deserve: Lobster poaching: Keys man sentenced, son also doing time - South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com

KEY WEST —

A Florida Keys man has been sentenced to nearly two years behind bars for possessing nearly 300 undersized lobsters.

Monroe County Judge Ruth Becker also stripped 50-year-old Angel Cancio of Big Pine Key of his commercial fishing license for three years after his release.

It took a jury about an hour Monday to convict Cancio of possessing 277 undersized wrung lobster tails while fishing with his 28-year-old son near No Name Key in September 2009. State wildlife officers said the men threw a box containing the lobsters into the water and tried to flee when confronted by authorities.
Stay on top of the news: Get breaking new alerts sent directly to your phone

Cancio's son is serving an 18-month sentence at the Monroe County Detention Center on Stock Island, where Cancio also will be imprisoned.

It's been a good lobster season this year and the Asian market for spiny lobster is booming so prices are up. Expect to see more poaching cases.

These guys listed in the next article were busted in the last couple of days. I hope the penalty is even bigger:

3 jailed for hundreds of illegal lobster

3 jailed for hundreds of illegal lobster

Posted - Saturday, October 23, 2010 11:00 AM EDT

A state officer inspecting the multi-day catch of a Stock Island lobster boat Thursday discovered 345 undersized lobster tails among the haul.

Three Key West men aboard the boat Trinity -- owner and captain Gregorio Rodriguez, 64, and mates Felix Patejo-Olivero, 27, and Yudany Montano, 32 -- were charged with 345 misdemeanor counts of possessing a single undersized lobster.

According to the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission, Officer Jimmy Johnson made a routine inspection of the 40-foot Trinity as it returned to dock at the Stock Island Lobster Co. around 7 p.m. Thursday after six days at sea.

"Officer Johnson soon found a bunch of undersized wrung tails so the decision was made to go through the whole catch," said agency spokesman Officer Bobby Dube. "Overall, it was a substantial catch of several thousand pounds."

Dube noted the 345 tails amounted to one of the largest seizures of illegal lobster to date in the current season that opened Aug. 6.

"The Asian market has been buying a lot of lobster so the fishermen have been getting pretty good prices this year," Dube said. "That may provide an incentive for some people to try to get away with some things."

He noted, "These undersized lobster are all juveniles that were taken before they had a chance to reproduce. In the long run, that only hurts the commercial industry. It's a shame."

Thanks for posting!

Help me out with something-- I thought the measurement was taken of the carapace? How does FWC prove that the poachers' catch was undersized if they only have tails?

You and I measure our lobster by the carapace length of 3" minimum. But they can also measure the tail length to determine whether the lobster was a legal catch, and I believe that measurement to be 5 1/2" tail length.

B@st@rds.

I have a hard time believing Florida law allows people to take them with a carpace as small as 3"... taking undersized lobster against that yardstick - they must be the size of bloody prawns!

EDIT: When I was in Hong Kong recently, I couldn't believe how small some of the spiny lobster were in some of the restaurants. Clearly Asians don't mind too much about undersized lobsters.

Good to see poachers like these getting jail time and the loss of their licenses. This kind of activity really angers me.

Excellent!!! Love that prison time!!!!

I'm still amazed that the fishing industry still can't see that they are only hurting themselves by encouraging this kind of harvesting. If the industry stops buying the undersized then the majority of poachers will stop poaching them!

On a side note, I'd like to see more respect for commercial fishing in foreign waters. Many nations send out fleets to all the corners of the world and they take everything they can w/out regard to local law,regulations, and culture... Since it's not near their country, it doesn't bother them.

It is part of the singular me first no single raindrop is responsible for the flood mentality. I find it awesome they got two years for that. As far as i know these are misdemeanors which is less than 1 yro county time. THey must have stacked the time consecutivley on them for the offenses. THis is good I am against Concurrent time served two victims two cases two sentences.

B@st@rds.

I have a hard time believing Florida law allows people to take them with a carpace as small as 3"... taking undersized lobster against that yardstick - they must be the size of bloody prawns!

EDIT: When I was in Hong Kong recently, I couldn't believe how small some of the spiny lobster were in some of the restaurants. Clearly Asians don't mind too much about undersized lobsters.
Or shark fin soup......

In much of Asia, certainly China, many believe that any animal with its "Back to Heaven" is fair game to be consumed - pretty broad spectrim to choose.

There does not seem to be much awareness in this area - I know not everyone

The disgusting practice of shark finning is certainly not for the American market - lest you think I'm hijacking the thread, frankly the lobster poachers in question know better - and just don't care.

Hmmmm.....maybe the same can be said for the shark finners.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom