PNG advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bekpekker

New
Reaction score
Hi,

Travelling in PNG for about a month I would like to know which dive sites are best in September, choosing two out of Madang, Kavieng, Rabaul, Kimbe and Milne Bay. I will probably visit Madang to do another PADI course but the other option is completely open. I just visited Bunaken and Biak in Indonesia, so I'd like to see something very different if possible.

I'm a PADI Advanced diver though not very experienced, so strong currents are not my kind of thing yet. I'm very keen on colorful coral reefs

Can anyone give my advice about where to go and why?

Thanks in advance!

Joop.

Bekpekker:
Hi,

Travelling in PNG for about a month I would like to know which dive sites are best in September, choosing two out of Madang, Kavieng, Rabaul, Kimbe and Milne Bay. I will probably visit Madang to do another PADI course but the other option is completely open. I just visited Bunaken and Biak in Indonesia, so I'd like to see something very different if possible.

I'm a PADI Advanced diver though not very experienced, so strong currents are not my kind of thing yet. I'm very keen on colorful coral reefs

Can anyone give my advice about where to go and why?

Thanks in advance!

Joop.

Walindi plantation on New Britain if you want to see the best coral there is. http://www.walindi.com
If you want further infomation PM me or contact at ddiver@tampabay.rr.com

Hello Joop: PNG - BEST DIVING EVER........

I am in PNG - specifically Rabaul and Port Moresby from September 26 to October 17. I have dived PNG many times and at most locations, both from shore-based operators and live-aboards. Check my website to read the trip reports and dive operator reports on PNG (link in signature block).

Congratulations on being “humble” and recognising that you are a relatively new diver lacking experience in some areas. So many new divers have a chip on their shoulder thinking they know everything – usually they are the ones who mess up!!

Where you go really depends on what you want to see. Corals, fish, sharks, wrecks?

Madang (Jais Aben) has nice diving but for my likes is far to commercial with too many divers. If you decide to dive Madang, I'd suggest staying at Adrian's Place which is located 10 minutes walk from Jais Aben (where the diving leaves from). He has bungalows are set in a tropical setting beside the water - very nice. His food is also very good and 100% better than Jais Aben food - But, you maybe X-military and enjoy YUK food! Adrian’s fees are very reasonable and are in kina – NOT US dollars.

The islands in the Madang area are beautiful. The diving is very good, but as I said lots of divers with dive masters ensuring you follow them! Yes, there are currents, but not in every location and the boat is live so you just go with the current. Remember, that if you want to see BIG things – then you normally have to have current…..There are some wrecks in the area also which are nice. One wreck is covered in BIG fish and would be one of my favourite dive sites for the fish life.

Hansa Bay to the north of Madang is also a good place to dive. Soem shipwrecks here provide ideal habitat for many hard to find fish and invertibrates. E-Mail Jais Aben and ask if he can go there on a trip. he often runs trips to Hansa Bay for a few days - very worthwhile

Milne Bay is wonderful for little hard to find critters – but it is best accessed from a live- aboard such as Certain, Telita or Golden Dawn. All three are top notch operators. The nearest land based operator that I know that is good is Tufi Island – expensive however.

Kavieng. Very nice, but lots if currents – some very strong. Also Japanese shipwrecks. When the currents run you probably will see lots of BIG fish action - but this can be said for most locations in PNG.

Walindi. I was here in April for three weeks. I suggest you read my operator and trip report. Lovely corals and overall good diving – but I’ve had better (subjective comment as I’ve been diving a long time). Very commercial operator and you will be diving in a boat with 10 other divers! Some dives were very very good while others were - well pretty mediocre!

Rabaul. The town is a rubbish dump and very dirty! People very friendly. Great place to watch an active volcano (see my website). Diving is very good in places - but you have to know the places. Lots of Japanese ship wrecks and a few plane wrecks which make interesting dives. A few excellent wall dives, and some lovely coral dives with lots of invertbrates - last trip my dive buddy counted 67 different nudibrancs.....

I like Rabaul so I’m biased (sorry). One good thing about Rabaul is it is seldom dived since the 1994 volcanic eruption, therefore, I can almost guarantee that you will be in a very small group of two or maybe three divers. Few divers in my books in GREAT….If you want to dive here – mail me and I’ll forward a decent operator (the one I use).

If you decide to do Rabaul ensure you do a night dive on Georges Wreck - decorator crabs, cuttlefish, frog fish, moray eels - fascinating. A MUST DO dive.

September/October is the doldrums in the New Britain/ Kimbe Bay area and like you, I’m hoping for good weather. Madang can be a little rough in September, but don’t let that scare you!! Milne Bay has variable weather in September.

An idea is to contact some of the live-aboards and see if they have in “blow in” prices. Usually they are cheaper as they may only have one place left which, without you would not be filled.

Feel very free to mail me if you require further information as I am more than happy to help you out………………Iain (Australia)

iainwilliams:
Hello Joop: PNG - BEST DIVING EVER........

Walindi. I was here in April for three weeks. I suggest you read my operator and trip report. Lovely corals and overall good diving – but I’ve had better (subjective comment as I’ve been diving a long time). Very commercial operator and you will be diving in a boat with 10 other divers! Some dives were very very good while others were - well pretty mediocre!
QUOTE]

Dived Walindi in Oct one day we had six divers on the boat the rest of the time it was 2-4.
I think no matter where you go you can hit a busy or slack time, just the luck of the draw.

I can't help with your question, but just asking if you wouldn't mind posting a greeting in Introduction and Greets so we get a chance to know you.

Dived Walindi in Oct one day we had six divers on the boat the rest of the time it was 2-4. I think no matter where you go you can hit a busy or slack time, just the luck of the draw.

Yes very true about diver numbers being the luck of the draw, however Madanf with Jais Aben is NEVER not busy - they alwasy seem to have three boats packed, especially in the good season. I'd say the same for Walindi. If you want few divers then you really have to go during the off or shoulder season - or just have good luck!

Either way JOOP you will ENJOY diving PNG - it is very goo no matter where you go...........Iain

Definitely contact some of the liveaboards for "fill-in" prices. They will often have an empty space that they will sell CHEAP. Most trips are 7-10 days each. I have my definite preferences as to which company to dive with, but I suspect thay are all suitable. I am quite spoiled on the liveaboard life and avoid land based operations.

Allison - Iain here (the guy who answered JOOP with all the shorebased diving operators). Which company do you prefer?? If you do not want to advertise then feel free to send mail to me at idwilliams@optusnet.com.au or a private message. My next PNG trip after this one will be on Goden Dawn...........Iain

Don't mind answering at all. I have spent most of my PNG diving on Alan Raabe's boats,the FeBrina and the Star Dancer. They are nicely set up for diving and the crew is super! Much of the crew has been with him for years. That's always a good sign. Alan has forgotten more about PNG diving than most captains will ever know. I don't mind telling you what a character he is, either. Always most entertaining! I spent all of last June in PNG and due to the often horrendous and unseasonal weather, both the Paradise Sport (Mike Ball) and the Golden Dawn were doing Kimbe bay. Even with three boats working the area, you never saw one another.
In all honesty, I doubt if you could go wrong with any of the boats over there. I will, however, stick to the operation I've used and learned to love. I always feel (and are treated) as if the crew on these boats are truely family.
Have fun!
Allison

Back
Top Bottom