Pneumothorax in Palm Beach

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaDeb1159

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Here is a little background info before I tell the story, I am 53 years old, started diving with friends at Branford dive OP at age 18 uncertified till I was 30, got married, took a 15 year break got divorced and was cert in June 2008 at Vortex Springs. Decided to fulfill a lifelong goal and become OWI. Got with a dive OP in Ga. Worked my way up to DM by recruiting students at $10.00 a pop commision! Completed my IDC when my OWI and his Dive OP and a few friends decided to take a trip to the Keys for some nice leisure diving.

Somewhere midstream the OWI decided instead of going to the Keys we were going to do a 3 day drift dive in Palm Beach. Not feeling good about the change in plans because there was some inexperienced divers that had never been in the ocean. I was not working as DM, I was on vacation and I used my AOW/CC on the boat the morning of dive 1. Was told that morning that I would buddy up with one of the OW cert that I drove down with who had logged maybe 4 to 6 ocean dives and was also informed while were doing our dive briefing that it was going to be 4 to 6ft. So 9:00am getting on the boat, there were a CD, OWI, 3 DM's not counting the dive OP's DM and several OW and AOW cert students with our group, everyone is strapping their tanks and unloading gear, first sign of bad luck...my bungy cord was loose and stretched out and the first wave we hit my tank falls out and hits my dive buddy on the shin causing damage!

We get to the first dive sight, "The Flower Garden" and my dive buddy and I are the last ones off the boat. Stayed on the surface for about 15 mins, she had problems equalizing and I told her it was ok to call the dive there was no pressure. I had no idea where the group was, she was having problems with buouyancy. I stayed very close to her and holding her hand and when I would see her go up I would pull her back down by her fin. Caught up to the group, thank God! Checked my SPG, 500 PSI, I double check her's she has 500 PSI, signalled to the group we are going up, do a 3 to 5 min safety stop trying to give extra time because of the rough seas. Everything is fine, boat captain sees us and comes to pick us up. We both try to grab onto the fin ladders, finally make contact with the fin ladder, hanging on for dear life! Getting knocked around kept mask on and REG in, finally get on the boat and BAM! My first thought was heartattack, got my gear off and didn't say anything to anyone but was smiling and saying "Oh ****! I'm going out with my fins on!"

Got a bottle of water and a bag of chips and all the divers were getting back on the boat and we were heading to 2nd dive sight. Was feeling much better, wasn't dead, thought I may have bruised my sternum on the fin ladder, started thinking if I wanted to do the 2nd dive or not, weighed my odds and thought had better not push my luck. Get back to the room felt ok just having a little breathing issues. Get up the next morning, group's getting ready for day 2 of diving, still feeling a little pain in my chest not too bad, just knew something wasn't right, decided to call DAN. And was advised to go to St Mary's trauma center, where I was told I had a pneumothorax and to make myself comfortable with a chest tube for the next 9 days and the Dr assured me that I would never dive again. 4 or 5 dr's later, numerous xrays and CT scans still the same verdict...no diving.

Update, 5 months later did 2 dives to 35 ft. Lived to tell about it! Was told by a dive Dr in Tn. last week that if I was going to dive to just watch my ascents really close and "This story is true and the best of my knowledge"

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry this happened to you!

So, is the feeling that you suffered a traumatic pneumothorax from being hit in the chest with the ladder, or a barotrauma-related pneumo, or a spontaneous pneumo? The three have very different implications for diving. Did they do a high-res CT scan of your lungs, to see if you have blebs?

Traumatic pneumothorax has virtually no implications for diving, as, without recurrence of the trauma, recurrence of the pneumo is unlikely. Truly spontaneous pneumothoraces are a different story, with up to a 40% recurrence rate after one, and higher yet if you have more than one. That risk is considered too high for any doctor to approve going back underwater.

Also, nine days with a chest tube is a long time. Did they have to do something to seal the leak (pleurodesis)? That could have some impact on returning to diving, as well.

At any rate, glad you got through it okay!

Glad you're okay. As Lynne states, the cause of the pneumothorax has more of a bearing on whether you can dive again or not. Did you at anytime during your safety stop hold your breath? With 4-6 foot seas that is shallow enough to cause a pneumothorax if you were holding your breath at the wrong time. It wouldn't have to be a long breath hold, just a few seconds.

As for the rest of your story, I'm shocked at some of the things you stated. You said it was a leisure trip in which you were not working as a DM and then you state you were paired up with a new diver and it appeared you were responsible for that dive. That sounds like a working dive to me. Also, the boat actually went out in 4-6 foot seas?? Last time I was in S. Florida our trip was called off twice due to 3-5 foot seas. You might want to avoid that dive op in the future.

I was told that I did have blebs on my lungs and that one had burst, and that's what caused the pneumothorax. I had a CT scan about two weeks ago and still have one small bleb on my lung.
They didn't have to seal the leak...

I didn't hold my breath at anytime during the dive, that I know of. However, I've ask myself that question over & over with 4-6ft waves you have to ask that, but all and all I was pretty relaxed in the water and didn't ever have a reason too...

I wasn't a DM that day, I am sure of that!! I "was not" on the best of terms with my old OWI who was in charge of putting this dive trip together, like I said, I had a bad feeling about changing the location of the trip.
We had invited these people/our friends and two that I know of had never been in the ocean.
The OWI knew I wasn't happy about it too!!
I didn't mind being dive buddies with my friend even though I really wanted to buddy up w/my room-mate that had never been in the ocean, and they went off and left her by herself, thank God she was okay, but still!!

Oh, ScubaDeb, I'm sorry. If you do have blebs, you shouldn't dive, period. Had this pneumo occurred at depth, the outcome might have been tragically different.

What are you calling depth? These are the questions I need to know... And if I've been diving all these yrs, and get pushed into a fin ladder by a big wave, and collapse my lung. Now we have trauma to the body, right?
I feel as long as I have no trauma to the body, or do anything crazy, like hold my breath and come up to fast, and it should be okay...

Tell me if I'm wrong, oh ya already did!!

So what would you say to me knowing I'm still going to dive?
Thanks, Deb

So what would you say to me knowing I'm still going to dive?
Thanks, Deb
Deb, what I'd say to you is, "please think through all the implications." While you may believe that you're okay with putting yourself at risk, you also have to consider your dive buddy and anyone else in the vicinity (on the boat, shore, etc.). If you have another incident and your buddy or someone else needs to perform a rescue, you may be putting these people in harm's way, both psychologically and physically, which I'm sure you will agree presents moral issues.

TN Doc said that maybe a chance it could never happen again. On the other hand it could happen tomorrow...
Is there a safe depth you can or can't go to?
Is CA better than nitrox in my case?
I'm gonna be careful, stay away from big groups, can't have my reg kicked out of my mouth. Only buddy up with the best, and take one dive at a time... I know you mean well!! Deb

The presence of blebs makes you at higher risk of suffering from spontaneous pneumothorax on dry land.
The fact that you already had a spontaneous pneumothorax makes recurrence more likely on dry land.
You take that increased risk of spontaneous pneumothorax with you when you dive at any depth.
Moreover, the act of diving subjects your lungs to pressure-related stress that, dive-savvy physicians might argue, make spontaneous pneumothorax more likely in a diver with lung blebs.

Before you decide to dive again, please take some time to think about whether this leisure time activity is worth the risk.

Scubadeb, a bleb can rupture from changes in air pressure. As you know, the greatest pressure change in scuba diving occurs in the water column of 33 feet and less. You keep asking the depth at which there is high risk? Well, possibly just in the top ten feet, especially with 4 to 6 foot seas.

I love diving, but I love living more. As unlucky as you were, you came out of the situation with your health intact. It exposed a condition that could be life threatening and it gives you the chance to make some difficult decisions, but to find different passions to pursue with all of your health and vigor.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom