Plymouth, MA area boat dive sites?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

decapoddiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My nephew lives in Duxbury and wants to dive down there off my 21' boat but I am a Salem-Salisbury area diver. Not looking for anyone's secret spot but general areas would be appreciated. Focusing on lobster and not wrecks. Preferably sites under 50'. I would be happy to reciprocate with northern areas or take you out on the boat. Thanks.

Flag rock off of Whitehorse beach is good, not 50' though. Sloping sand into large rock piles, lots of bugs. Brant rock off of Marshfield is also good, 20' rock piles and tons of bugs there too.

i didn't dive it but I heard there is rock piles near the entrance to Dux harbor that is awesome for lobster also.

Last edited:
Hey there. A good popular spot for bugs is in between Manomet point and Ellisville harbor state park. Mike from Dive Locker would do dives off there. In shallow water, 25 fsw.
I do shore dives off a bud's beach house there. he's a diver and kills it there. Not too far a haul from Plymouth Harbor ramp.

Thanks for the tips. Now we need good conditions.

Second vote for High Pine Ledge. Pretty dive. Lots of decent sized rocks with bugs hiding under them. We used to clean up drifting with the current inside of the #6 buoy on the way out

Hey there. A good popular spot for bugs is in between Manomet point and Ellisville harbor state park. Mike from Dive Locker would do dives off there. In shallow water, 25 fsw..

In that general area there is a wreck to dive also. You could do that first, and get lobsters on your second dive.

MWDC

We did two dives off the Gurnet based on a "tip" from a local shop my nephew got that it was easy to limit out getting bugs from ghost traps there. Never saw a ghost trap but did find one legal lobster and about 4 shorts. Moved SW about 1/4 mile and got four more. Not sure where those ghost traps are but that's not really my idea of hunting anyway.
25'+ vis
50 degree water
No surge
Depths were 20-25' natbugs.jpg

There used to be a TON of ghost pots around there, but I haven't lived down there in 8 years or so. You were probably pretty close to that area around the #6 buoy I was talking about. We used to clean up out there, never maxed out but never skunked either. I agree, pulling bugs out of ghost pots isn't exactly sporting. I always make it a point to cut the elastics that hold the traps shut on ghost pots and to open up the pot lids.

Try High Pine next time out, very pretty dive.

I've done High Pine in the past and yes, it is pretty but never found it be a prime lobster spot.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom