Plus-size Drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

N

newdiver-toronto

Hi there, is it possible to get a women's plus-size drysuit (3-4XL)? Can I get one altered or custom-made? A used one? I'm new to diving and when I saw drysuits can cost $2,000 I almost swallowed my tongue...:censored:

not cheap but divide that over 5 -12 years. best 1800 i ever spent. theres companys like diveing concepts that have packages for undergarments suit, and bag.

You might check out DUI's Factory closeouts. Right now there is a women's XXL on their for $940.
http://www.dui-online.com/fr.htm

These suits are primarily ones they use for thier DEMO days or ones that were custom ordered, and aren't the right size, etc. I have several friends who have gotten suits through here. Other drysuits might have similar lists too.

inkydiver:
not cheap but divide that over 5 -12 years. best 1800 i ever spent. theres companys like diveing concepts that have packages for undergarments suit, and bag.
I know, it's like buying any other piece of specialized equipment you'd need, like a computer. It just seems like a lot of money to spend when I don't know at this point how much diving I'll do. My instructor thinks I should have one, though.

newdiver-toronto:
Hi there, is it possible to get a women's plus-size drysuit (3-4XL)? Can I get one altered or custom-made? A used one? I'm new to diving and when I saw drysuits can cost $2,000 I almost swallowed my tongue...:censored:

Custom fitting of drysuits is available from (almost?) anyone in the business, it's very common.

Depending on your intended type of diving you can get into some styles for less.

Here is a post I found interesting...
http://www.scubaboard.com/showpost.php?p=1085846&postcount=15

Actually you can spend a LOT more than 2K if you want to. :)

Pete

spectrum:
Actually you can spend a LOT more than 2K if you want to. :)

Pete

You ain't kidding! All said and done I more than doubled that with my custom suit! But oh so worth it. I've already done more dives this year than the first 5 years I was certified put together, and I have local dives planned next weekend.

Polly

newdiver-toronto:
I know, it's like buying any other piece of specialized equipment you'd need, like a computer. It just seems like a lot of money to spend when I don't know at this point how much diving I'll do. My instructor thinks I should have one, though.

I suppose you're pumped to start diving but if you are unsure about your long term enthusiasm wait till spring and do the summer wet. By next fall you'll have a better idea.

If the instructor (salesman) is pushing the sale of a drysuit or computer on an OW candidate I'd run the other way. You need neither at this time.

Pete

newdiver-toronto:

Most women's drysuits only come to a relatively small stock size of XL. DUI has a women's XXL - you'd have to check their measurements to see if it would fit you - or better yet, if you're anywhere near one of their DUI Dog Days events or one of the dive shows, you can try one on and see if it fits while getting advice from one of the staff (Faith from DUI is usually there and is a larger woman herself - as a larger woman myself, I felt very comfortable getting advice regarding fit from her). You can try checking out their website at www.dui-online.com to see their sizing.

That said, when I went and tried on a stock XXL, I found that it was just a *smidge* too snug in the hips and too roomy across the upper arms and chest for me. While I might have gotten away with it, I really just didn't feel comfortable in it and while that meant spending more $$ for a custom suit (known as either a Special Production, which is custom without a hood or pockets or Signature Series which comes as a package with a hood, knee pads and your choice of 2 pockets), I'm *really* glad that I did. The difference in fit that I felt when I first tried on the suit was dramatic - and I'm certain that I wouldn't be nearly as comfortable with my dives if I'd gone with the stock suit because it wouldn't have fit me as well.

Now. All that said....while I'm absolutely *thrilled* with my new drysuit, I dove for 2 years wet (in New England) before I bought it. I logged about 150 wet dives, most of which were in cold water, before I ever went dry. Granted, you're in Toronto, so your water is, I'm sure, that much colder, which might make your diving season shorter. My personal comfort level in my 7mm farmer jane was 50 degrees - below that, I would start getting cold on a 45 minute dive - but at 50 or higher, I was fine. Of course, your comfort level may be more or less - that's always highly individual.

Anyway - forgive me for the novel, but the upshot of my experience is that it's very likely that you're going to have to go custom if you're going to go dry, which is going to cost $$$. However, on the pro side, the dry suit will last a loooong time with proper care, extend your dive season and provide you with more comfort and extend your bottom times because you're not cold. However, it's not necessary that you buy one immediately - it's possible to hold off for a while to save up for one. You probably just won't be diving as much while you do.

Best of luck to you and let us know what you decide to do....

Well, for my open water training, my instructor is going to lend me one of his drysuits and then I'll check out your suggestions, especially SadiesMoms. Thanks for your help!

For the record, though - I agree with Spectrum that you should hold off on purchasing a drysuit until you're sure you want to dive cold water on a regular basis. As a new OW student, if you're going to end up becoming a warm water vacation diver, a drysuit is really a collosal waste of money....if, however, you really end up loving diving like I did and end up wanting to dive pretty much every weekend, it'll end up being one of the best investments you make....

For the record, while I enjoy diving here in New England, some of the most gorgeous diving I've done is up in Eastport, ME near the Canadian border at the entrance to the Bay of Fundy. Not near you, mind you, but well worth a trip. I dove it wet (in September) but it was pretty chilly with bottom temps around 47...I'm hoping to go back next summer and dive it dry :D - should be more comfortable and get in more bottomtime.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom