Plura, Norway: Body recovery operation started

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree about the "creatures" but most fish are not protected by several layers of clothing and a drysuit.

I agree about the "creatures" but most fish are not protected by several layers of clothing and a drysuit.

I give it to you the dry-suit makes a good body-bag.

Very good question and I was thinking the same. The bodies sould be well preserved considering the lack of oxygen, light and the temp of the water. There might even be a high flow as the snow melts and might dislodge the stuck divers body. OTOH I see no reason not to go ahead and recover the diver's body that had equipment issues.
"Raising the Dead" by Phillip Finch.
The body that late Dave Shaw tried to recovery had been under water(fresh) for nth yrs. It still has body mass rather than skeleton!

I really wish they'd just leave them. I have such a wish in my "If I die diving" letter to my daughter. Too often families ask for heroic recoveries that risk the lives of others. If the dive can kill one, it can kill more the same way.

Put up a memorial maybe, with instructions to leave whatever remains might be found in place - and dive elsewhere in the cave.

Dandydon, you do realize that the water sometimes supplies others with drinking water?

Dandydon, you do realize that the water sometimes supplies others with drinking water?
Not a happy thought to connect, but I am sure much worse is filtered and chemically neutralized from most reservoirs.

I suspect if one of the bodies was reached on the first recovery attempt (I think one dive was made...), they would have recovered the dive computer (SOP).

Just Asking Questions, are we?

No, there was multiple dives. DivES. Plural.

Since you're so good at assumptions, why don't you answer this question: Diving was commenced on the 21st. There's a cite for that upthread. The press conference about aborting the operation was on the 25th. There's a cite for that, too, upthread. If there was only one dive, how did the whole recovery team spend the time from the 22nd to the 24th? Twiddling their fingers with their thumbs up their a$$es?

BTW, you might find answers to some of those questions you're Just Asking if you, you know, read the cites that have been provided and, you know, listened to what Mark Dougherty says in the videos that have been explicitly pointed out in the text upthread.

--
Sent from my Android phone
Typos are a feature, not a bug

And David Shaw made a great mistake.
The only mistake he made was being persuaded to recover the body.

---------- Post added March 4th, 2014 at 01:41 PM ----------

I really wish they'd just leave them. I have such a wish in my "If I die diving" letter to my daughter. Too often families ask for heroic recoveries that risk the lives of others. If the dive can kill one, it can kill more the same way.
Agree.

Back
Top Bottom