Please tell me what mask to buy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What mask do you buy? simple, the one that fits.
Go to several dive shops so you can try all the different styles/brands on. Some shops may carry what the other shop doesn't have, so you need to shop around.
Place the mask up to your face and inhale a little with your nose. If the mask stays put without you holding it on that's a good start.
You can get all the internet advice you want in the world but nothing can replace actually trying the mask on.

I would say, ignore the advertising and just keep trying masks until you find one that fits well! Everyone fits into masks differently, sometimes the cheap one, or the used one works. It may not be the one your LDS wants to sell you, or the one your Instructor wants you to buy. Sometimes it is the mask that no one else seems to fit into. I would ignore color, price, and brand (markup). Just look until you get a good fit, then stick with that mask. If you are that hard to fit, better buy 2 when you find the right fit - always good to have a back up :)

BlueOrbDiving
"Be the Sea"

https://usedscubaequipment.wordpress.com/2015/01/25/buying-the-right-used-scuba-diving-mask-for-you/

My concern with taking that route is Fit outside in a diveshop is much different than down at 200 feet.

I need to know what mask can be trusted to withstand the depth and environment that one will encounter.

If the mask fits right in the store, with the inhale method described above then it will work at depth. The water pressure at depth generally keeps the mask on your face.

Also make sure you aren't using the mask strap. That is more to keep the mask from falling off you head if it's knocked off rather than actually holding the mask to your face. It should be pretty loose, in my experience

I'm confused what you are concerned about... And why you will be at 200fsw

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My concern with taking that route is Fit outside in a diveshop is much different than down at 200 feet.

I need to know what mask can be trusted to withstand the depth and environment that one will encounter.
if you are doing it right, then there is nothing to worry about. the only difference above and below water is that your mask gets wet.

you should be equalizing your mask, so there should be none to very minimal pressure on it.

Scuba Dive Mask Squeeze

The only thing I will say is.... All lens are not equal , Some glass is just cheap ....

Jim...

Try the mask on with mouthpiece or snorkel in your mouth. Trying a mask on with nothing in your mouth can lead to problems once in the water as the shape of your face changes, around the mouth, once you have reg in your mouth. Agree with everyone else the best mask is the one that fits regardless of brand or price. Good luck.

A mask at depth is irrelevant, you should be equalizing it the whole dive so there would be no pressure on the skirt or your face. Anybody knows this, but then you say you're going to 200 feet and you have concerns about a mask crushing out at that depth or not holding up?
Like I said, the best start, or the only start, is to find a mask that fits and has all the features you're looking for by trying them on physically in a store or somewhere besides the internet. The internet is fine if you know what you want already, and even then buying sight unseen off the internet even on a name brand can have it's problems. It's a good way for companies to get rid of their blems.

The 200 foot thing should be something done way in the future after a lot of regular dives and then some tech training and trimix. By then you should have dialed in the mask that works for you.

I have TUSA Vision Pro, great mask, low volume, water don't enter my mask, I got one for my wife, she is very happy with it, and I got one for my brother, he is extremely happy with his, note that all of us have different shapes of faces, very different actually, none of us have complains of water entering the mask, and we all have the same model mask, that tell some about a well build mask that fit different shape of faces.

All of us had problems with our previus masks, now the problem is gone.

Note that the masks that I give my wife and brother were all presents, I knew that the mask was going to fit them without trying them out, it is so well build

I been to 130 ft and did not had a problem, long way to go for me before I hit the 200ft

So... you are doing dives to 200ft but don't know how to buy a mask that fits? Hmm...

Back
Top Bottom