Please tell me what mask to buy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My concern with taking that route is Fit outside in a diveshop is much different than down at 200 feet.

I need to know what mask can be trusted to withstand the depth and environment that one will encounter.
Bring a spare one(different brand) then!
Many divers do keep a spare one in the pocket. You can either buy a pair of shorts with pocket and wear it over your suit or glue one/two into your suit.
But they have to be perfectly fit first.

Last edited:
What's depth got to do with it? Whether at 200 feet or 20 feet, the mask isn't going to deform any more or any less because the reg takes care of the pressure differential. Or is the thinking that the silicone itself compresses? I've never heard that, and my guess is that would take a lot more pressure than the depths a dive mask will ever see.

Ah, I see Eric said this a few posts up.

Any recommendation to a specific mask is a grain of salt. The single most important aspect is the fit. A perfect featured mask that doesn't fit is the worst mask. So to try on a few and buy the one that fit the best, or choose one amougst those that fit.

I'm not clear on what you mean by a weak skirt. Mask skirts should be soft and very flexible in order to comfortably mold to your facial contours. If you are scuba diving (as opposed to free diving) pressure issues should not exist. Your regulator will adjust air pressure as you descend. If the mask gets tight from water pressure a slight exhale through the nose will immediately equalize mask pressure and ambient pressure. Failure under pressure does not make sense. You will find that the frameless masks recommended by some people are very pressure sensitive, something that should not be a problem for a scuba diver in any case.

Follow the advice from those who point out that fit is the most important feature.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom