Please shed some light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OK, OK, best non-canister dive light in the world...

Thanx for the tip.....but its a little too pricey for rental torches as a personal dive light maybe....do u have any info on the princeton tec tec 40.....thanx

There are 2 schools of thought on rental gear:

1. Buy cheap. The renters are just going to destroy it. Keep replacing it with more cheap stuff. Eventually gets expensive.

2. Buy tough. The renters will not be able to destroy it. Keep on using the first one you bought. Long term becomes cheap.

paying 2 or 3 times the price of a cheapo light to get a lifetime light will pay off in the end.

To be brutally honest, I'd be pretty pissed if I laid out money to rent a light and you handed me a Princeton Tec 40. Don't get me wrong, it's a decent little backup light to stick in your pocket, but it's nowhere near enough to use for a main light in a recreational setting. Besides that, you can buy them new for $12.

Think about it from a customer's standpoint: if you're renting a light...you want a LIGHT!

Most rental lights you see on liveaboards, etc are of the Princeton Tec Shockwave or UK C-8 variety...

princeton-tec-shockwave-ii-xenon-spotlight.jpg

11.jpg

One other consideration for rental lights is batteries: consider rechargeables.

I understand what you are saying...but these torches are not rented as such they are given to the guest on a night dive(included in the price)...

I understand what you are saying...but these torches are not rented as such they are given to the guest on a night dive(included in the price)...

Don't play semantics. "Rented" vs "included in the price" is a difference without a distinction.

Either way the PT 40 is still an insufficient light to be used as a primary for a night dive. Especially if someone else has their own, more powerful light, the PT 40 will be blotted out by the other lights. Remember, on a night dive a light is a signaling device too. If it's such a small light that it can't be seen easily it's worthless.

I think the question to ask yourself is "What type of light would YOU want on a night dive?" and then provide that to your customers.

This isn't that hard.

I think the question to ask yourself is "What type of light would YOU want on a night dive?" and then provide that to your customers. This isn't that hard.

May be one more question to ask would be in what conditions are they generally going to be used! The dive centre where they are going to be used is in the Andaman islands just off india. I have never dived there but I have dived the similan islands which is 400 miles away in Thailand. The water clarity there in season is exceptionally good and as such you do not need ultra high powered lights as you would in areas of lower vis.:wink:

The intova's are great, we use them in similar conditions all the time, robust, cost effective and hard wearing. Only problem is battery's can be hard to get hold of so some rechargables might come in handy.

http://www.intova.net/torch.html

Last edited:
Don't play semantics. "Rented" vs "included in the price" is a difference without a distinction.

Either way the PT 40 is still an insufficient light to be used as a primary for a night dive. Especially if someone else has their own, more powerful light, the PT 40 will be blotted out by the other lights. Remember, on a night dive a light is a signaling device too. If it's such a small light that it can't be seen easily it's worthless.

I think the question to ask yourself is "What type of light would YOU want on a night dive?" and then provide that to your customers.

This isn't that hard.

I agree except for the

I'd want a can light but its not practical to supply a fleet of them. :eyebrow:

Thanks for the positive feedback. You will be pleased to note that our new light is almost twice as bright for the same price. It went from 70 to 130 lumens!!! Many more torches will be introduced this year as we continue to grow in this great category.

Have you checked out UK SL4 LED. They are tough and the batteries last 10 hrs. also very bright.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom