Please Share Sea Hunt Memories

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As many of you know, I help out with the Underwater Videographer Podcast. We are planning a special Sea Hunt 50th Anniversary Special in December.

Many of you, like me, developed the interest in diving from watching Sea Hunt. As part of the Special, I wanted to give any of you the opportunity to share any memories of Sea Hunt or Lloyd Bridges. Also, you may want to share how the Show influenced you into diving. I plan to read the best ones on the Podcast intro.

Thank you for your help.

Hello Marshallkarp,

Like you and others who have posted here, I was very much influenced by Sea Hunt or as my father called it, "Sea Lung" and another show called, "Danger is My Business." I remember walking to the movie theater and found an old set of spark plug wires that allowed me to "sit underwater" while the movie was playing. If I had only known about Quaker Oats Tanks! When other kids wanted to be firemen and policemen, I wanted to be a diver. Unfortunately, growing up in a small town in Louisiana I did not have much of a chance until I joined the military. In the early 70ies as luck would have it I got stationed in Tampa, Fl and thanks to my diver-roommate I finally got a chance to try scuba diving. I was instantly sold so after I left the service I went to commercial diving school to fulfill my childhood ambition. I worked in the diving industry for only a few years as working long weeks away from your new spouse was not appealing (at the time ;-) )

My favorite episode of Sea Hunt had almost everything you might want in an adventure show including an underwater scooter race against a beautiful, cheating female. Sorry I do not know the name or number of the episode; perhaps Nemrod or JimLap knows.

Here are a couple of interesting thread links:
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/sea-hunt-era/164486-sea-hunt.html
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/sea-hunt-era/171085-danger-my-business.html

Good luck with your project, please keep us posted,

couv

Bless you Sir!

As a kid I watched a number of Sea Hunt episodes while wearing a vacuum cleaner hose over my shoulders. To simulate the regulator hoses.

I also remember as a kid (early 60’s) playing with friends and I wanted to make believe that we were frogman. Well the other kids just made fun of me. They didn’t watch Sea Hunt and didn’t know what a frogman was. They teased me and said why not pigman or other animal-man. Kids can be cruel, but in the long run (by 1971) I ended up becoming a frogman (just not a Navy frogman).

I watched the Sea Hunt episodes when I lived in Puerto Rico. They were dubbed into Spanish and therefore they were shown a few years later (early 60’s, rather than 1957 to 1961). Now that would be very hard to find… the Spanish dubbed version of the Sea Hunt episodes.

I do own a set with all 155 episodes in English, but several of them are almost impossible to watch. The audio and video in some is very bad.

And yes, Cousteau was another big influence, but I was already a diver by the time many of the Cousteau shows were on TV.

I remember watching only a couple of episodes of Sea Hunt. I watched Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea though, religiously! I even got a model of the sub, Seaview, for Christmas one year. It had this 6 legged creature to attack the sub and a couple of tiny divers and the little flying sub that would come out of the bottom of the Seaview. I also got some GI-Joe sized divers from that show which I took in the bath, the pool, wherever my wild imagination took me.
I would have to say that the Jacques Cousteau shows that my dad and I would watch had even more influence on my passion for diving though. We would NEVER miss one of those airings, and I have a DVD set of his adventures. We'll never have another Jacques!

I watched the Sea Hunt episodes as well, but have to admit that I don't remember specific episodes. I do remember hearing more bubbles than dialog and the countless times someone's hose was cut. Of course at the time I had no clue that it was an exhaust hose.

"50th Anniversary Special in December" - what a great idea. I watched and loved all the episodes. My memory is so bad, I've forgotten everything. I think I'll head on over to ebay to see what I can pick up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom