Please Share Sea Hunt Memories

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wacthing some of those old episodes graciously posted on you tube --- did you notice that getting bent on Sea Hunt was something akin to having a bad cold, and that being popped into a chamber was not a big deal? Like being put into a phone booth for a few minutes and presto! good as new...

Also note the lack of spg's...he's always guessing how much air was left in some hapless victim's tank.

Getting bent was considered something that might happen to anyone. The Navy protocal for a type I hit was that if you had full elimination of pain from the chamber ride, you could dive 24 hours later. Now you read people saying 1 month, 6 weeks, 6 months, etc. before you can dive again.

I guess this doesn't translate real well in print, but despite the fact that I can't recall all the details of any single episode, I can still play the "dah-dah-dahdah-dah" theme music all the way through in my head, and that music inevitably leads my mind to heroic sequences of Mike in the briny deep. Equal thanks to Mike and Jacques Cousteau for leading me down the slippery slope to diving.

I forgot about the giant clam thing. Not a lot of them in cold New England waters unless you count a 4" quohog.
When I finally got to the South Pacific and the land of giant clams, I kept trying to get myself trapped by a giant clam, but I guess they were vegetarian or not in the mood. Even at a breeding facility - no luck.
The sea snakes sure were pretty friendly though. They would have made an awesome jacket or some cool boots.
No one had spg's back then. J-valves ruled the world. My Calypso single hose reg had a small stem gauge on the first stage that we checked all the tanks with before the dive. In the back of my mind on every dive was always the question if I set the J-valve in the correct position. Nothing like a little paranoia to take the edge off a deep solo dive in a murky quarry, especially after I watched The Creature From the Black Lagoon.

I guess this doesn't translate real well in print, but despite the fact that I can't recall all the details of any single episode, I can still play the "dah-dah-dahdah-dah" theme music all the way through in my head, and that music inevitably leads my mind to heroic sequences of Mike in the briny deep. Equal thanks to Mike and Jacques Cousteau for leading me down the slippery slope to diving.

After watching the old episodes, I realized why we can all recall that music...it was because it was the ONLY music, and they played it over and over during the show.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom