Please rate my equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Welcome to SB! Go diving now!:D

The stuff is all just fine for Rec diving if not even above average for some. People's comments have been spot on about gear and fit etc...

The only gear you bought that I wouldn't use is the air source like damselfish said. IMHO safety gear shouldn't be thought of as "convenient." Do you really want the "laptop of air bags" to deploy when you crash your car because it takes up less space? But this is another thread really, even if you did ask for our opinions.:wink:

Assuming you are properly trained on both devices: Why is an integrated air source more dangerous (tangibly and objectively) than an Octopus?

Assuming you are properly trained on both devices: Why is an integrated air source more dangerous (tangibly and objectively) than an Octopus?

Nobody ever said it was more dangerous.:wink:

That said, I will tell you why I PERSONALLY prefer to use a "backup regulator" instead of an octo or especially an air source....I have breathed off of a $100 octo and and air source. :( They were HORRIBLE compared to my primary regulator so now I use two s600's. They (air source or cheap octo in any brand really) feel like toys compared to a decent primary. I don't wan't a toy in my mouth that nobody has used for months at 100 fsw in 45 degree water with 3 feet of viz and a ripping current when the crap hits the fan because it was "easier" to deal with before the accident occurred. :blinking:

The OP will be diving in California assuming he dives locally so the above conditions could be reality.

I hope I don't sound like I am being pompous. That isn't my objective HONESTLY. I am just answering the question from my perspective. I really don't believe there is one right way to do things but now you know how I personally prefer to do things with regard to this matter. I would just rather use something that was built to be used instead of something that was built to maybe be used in case of an emergency so let's make it cheaper and smaller etc...

If octos or air sources were so good, everybody would just buy two of them and save hundreds of bucks but they generally don't.

Nothing you listed, I would want to own particularly, just me, I am sure it is adequate if a bit generic.

N

this guy is freakin brutal. sounds like name brand stuff to me. doesn't "generic" imply off-brand or no-name?

I wouldn't buy any of that stuff either.

this guy is freakin brutal. sounds like name brand stuff to me. doesn't "generic" imply off-brand or no-name?

From Websters:

"a. relating to or characteristic of a whole group or class, b. having no particularly distinctive quality, c. being or having a nonproprietary name ."

I am using "generic" as defined by (a) and (b) from the above Websters definition. You are thinking in terms of useage (c).

The best deal is a deal you are happy with. N

Last edited:
Thanks Nemrod. I had forgotten the name of this thread and wanted to reply. i read your comment as you intended. This equipment is all from good name manufacturers and completely suitable for most recreational diving activities. That being said, it is all generic in that it is not specialized in any way. An Oceanic Atom with 3 gas capability would allow expansion into multiple gas diving and a BC like a DR TransPac or a BP/W would allow for more customization down the line to move into doubles, configure for travel etc.

Aboo4ya, as far as your gear is concerned, as others have stated, if it fits well, does what you need and makes you feel comfortable in the water then it is a good deal. By the way, the prices that you quoted were not bad either!!

Now go get wet!!

You did very well with your choices. I don't use any of the equiment you purchase it does not fit me.

Hey all. I'm new to diving and have just purchased a new setup for what I think was a good deal:

1.) BC- SeaQuest Balance with air source $399.
2.) Reg.- Sherwood SP1 $399.
3.) Computer- Sherwood Wisdom 2 with Compass & QD $450.
4.) Fins- Tusa Xpert Zoom $99.
5.) Mask- Mares Pure Vision $59.

I also have a Apeks XTX50 Status ($399.) with octo. that I will choose between (suggestions please).

I got these all at a tent sale at Sport Chalet in Pleasanton, Ca. They are all new with full warranties. I know I should try before you buy, but I have 30 days to return them and can try them in their pool as much as I want to. I plan on progressing up the ranks and doing all types of diving so I want to be able to grow into my equipment. Did I do ok? Any feedback would be great. BTW the sale is also on today, 8-3-08 until they close tonight.

Since there are thousands of members on this forum, be prepared for a whole bunch of different opinions!!

To tell you the truth, I wouldn't even touch what you have, other than the computer and the regs. *(I'm a bit biased because I dive BP/W)* As said before, the bc is ok in most rec diving, to 120', but not in overhead environments

Hope that helps
Taylor
Vicdiver656

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom