Please Post EDD MOD SMS100 PICs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I will let him do it. looks like it's worth it.

Smart. I watched the guys at Edd's shop modify two of them, and I had him walk me through every mod (how AND why) and I tried homebrewing his mods. I made improvements over stock, but I simply couldn't get them right. To me, it's not just a matter of money....the guys at Cave Adventurers know how to do it right. They do it for a very reasonable fee (considering what all goes into it), and they save you a lot of time in the process. Once you get it back, it'll still take some tweaking of your setup to get your tanks JUST right.

Nick, the SMS75 has most of the Edd mods. They're still not 100% there (according to the CA guys). The Halcyon Contour is the same way. Edd still has a few tweaks to both of those rigs.

taras8109.......

Something to consider with these mods that may/may not be important to you: the stock SMS100 has approximately 50-52lbs of lift potential. When the dump valve is relocated to the top/left (inside) shoulder area, the guys at CA 'roll' the top of the BC over just a bit then re-secure it to the rig. This places your dump valve in an area that minimizes the potential of it getting damaged in an overhead environment, and will also 'force' more of the gas you use to inflate your BC with to the hip area.....which is where you want it for sidemount diving. This rolling and pinching of the top part of the BC means you have less lift....according to Frank at CA, you will lose about 10lbs of lift; meaning the modified SMS100 is reduced to 40-42lbs.

As I said, that may/may not be a concern to you.

Thanks for the Info. much appreciated

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Spoke with my local Hollis rep John a couple weeks ago and I am pretty sure he said the SMS75 will not initially be offered with a dual bladder option.

Can you still dive a single tank back mount with these mods?

as a first time side mounter that also wants to have the option to dive singles backmount would you recommend these mods or just stick with the stock sms100.

Im im not a cave diver and will only do limited wreck penetration. I will not be squeezing into any holes.

Can you still dive a single tank back mount with these mods?

as a first time side mounter that also wants to have the option to dive singles backmount would you recommend these mods or just stick with the stock sms100.

Im im not a cave diver and will only do limited wreck penetration. I will not be squeezing into any holes.

Yes you can. It's a little hard to get the can bands through the slots, but it's doable. Also, you'll have to figure out how to plug in the inflator

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk

Yes you can. It's a little hard to get the can bands through the slots, but it's doable. Also, you'll have to figure out how to plug in the inflator

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk

is it worth it to get the mods on it now or get the stock one and then do the mods later?

Figure I could find a used stock one or buy a new modded one.

I agree with Victor....the modified SMS-100 is more than capable of diving a single tank. If that, however, is your primary means of diving, it really doesn't make since to get the mods done...especially since you have little interest at this point in doing much diving in overhead environments.

FWIW...there is a modified SMS-100 for sale on here (scroll through the classifieds and you should find the listing).... I have ZERO knowledge of who the seller is, but he does stipulate the rig has very few dives on it.

00wabbit, if I were you I'd just convert straight in to SM. Once you get it set up right, there's rarely a need to go back. I dive STSM any time I'm doing a 1-tank charter dive with an AL80. If we're doing a 2-tank charter I just dive both tanks on both dives. I dive off boats all the time in SM with no help other than what all the BM divers get (like, the DM takes my fins/camera before I climb up the ladder, and sometimes the DM helps adjust my tanks.

So, my advice to anybody that asks is call Edd's and buy one of his rigs. They'll be happy to walk you through reg setup (which hoses, how long, and where) and a few other details that help you out. The absolute best thing, though, is to drive down there and stay a couple of days. Cave diver or not, you'll want your tanks in proper trim and you'll want your setup to be just right. It takes a lot of the headache out of diving to get your setup JUST right....and they've got the recipe down pat.

voodoo36 has got it right, if single tank is your primary dive type.....don't get it. However, SM doesn't just work better for overhead....it's much better than backmounted in the OW. It's been [-]about[/-] over two years since I've had a tank on my back.

00wabbit, if I were you I'd just convert straight in to SM. Once you get it set up right, there's rarely a need to go back. I dive STSM any time I'm doing a 1-tank charter dive with an AL80. If we're doing a 2-tank charter I just dive both tanks on both dives. I dive off boats all the time in SM with no help other than what all the BM divers get (like, the DM takes my fins/camera before I climb up the ladder, and sometimes the DM helps adjust my tanks.

So, my advice to anybody that asks is call Edd's and buy one of his rigs. They'll be happy to walk you through reg setup (which hoses, how long, and where) and a few other details that help you out. The absolute best thing, though, is to drive down there and stay a couple of days. Cave diver or not, you'll want your tanks in proper trim and you'll want your setup to be just right. It takes a lot of the headache out of diving to get your setup JUST right....and they've got the recipe down pat.

voodoo36 has got it right, if single tank is your primary dive type.....don't get it. However, SM doesn't just work better for overhead....it's much better than backmounted in the OW. It's been [-]about[/-] over two years since I've had a tank on my back.

Thanks for the advice. I will be in the Marianna area for a while in a few months. I'll try to get my self set up then.

My primary mode of diving will be redundant tanks somehow. I just like to keep the BM option open for travel and shallow dives with my wife. Because of certain situations I can't have more than one rig so I really need to find a one size fits most idea.

I just started diving backmount doubles but think sidemount might be better for me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom