Please help with leaking Mako

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lt.Warner

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have a Mako Compare 5000 psi 4 stage compressor. I have been told that it has a Bauer K-14 block on it. This is the problem that IÃÎ having. When the compressor shuts down all of the air in the 4th stage leaks out of the dump block. If I donÃÕ manually switch the power off, the compressor will start back up and reach top pressure and knock off. start leaking until it starts back up again just to repeat this cycle all over. Please help. Any ideas or thoughts would be appreciated

Sounds like you have crap on the blowdown valve seat. Clean it and that should fix uour leaking as long as the sealing surface is in good condition.

I This is the problem that IÃÎ having. When the compressor shuts down all of the air in the 4th stage leaks out of the dump block.

I am not quite sure I understand your problem, I run Bauer K 14s and if the dump valve leaks, its a simple job to change the seat.

Unless you are referring to the block AFTER the fourth stage water separator, (in other words the block which controls the air back pressure)? This valve works with a small plastic floating piston which sometimes siezes due to corrosion.

Without more info on the actual dump block in question, I cant be of more help I am afraid.

Most folks who are not familiar with Hp compressors tend to over tighten the bleed off valves on the manual water seperator they do not have to be wrenched tight just finger tight. if you have warn them out they cost about $5 each to replace there are several diffenet seat sizes for Bauers.

I'd look at the check valve between the final separator and the filter tower. If the drain system is designed to dump at shut down, it is normal for the final separator to drain. Most often the plumbing for the pressure switch and final gauge are after the check valve. This prevents the gas from venting back through, going out the drain and causing the compressor to re-start due to the pressure drop. If this check valve is bad, it can also cause a "back-flushing" of the filter tower(s), as it too will leak back out the drain.

Craig

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom