Question Please help with identifying this old regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tom_Ivan

Contributor
Reaction score
I'd like to have a crack at getting this running.

Need to know what type reg it is and get a service manual for it

Has two high pressure ports and four intermediate ports

Maybe a Scubapro MK5

Attachments

• 20220301_214109.jpg
    20220301_214109.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 86
  • 20220301_214117.jpg
    20220301_214117.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 86

Maybe a Scubapro MK5
More like a mk5 clone, Oceanic maybe.

Maybe a Scubapro MK5
No worries, this should be quite easy to get it running again.
It's a SP MK5 Clone, you might be lucky and you can just flip the HP seat because it has been used only on one side.
Then you might just need a couple of common o-rings (even clearly indicated on the schematics) and an undamaged orifice and you are ready to go.
I might have the SP MK5 Service Manual, but if you have at least some experiences in Regulator Services, you should be fine with the schematics.
Good luck!

Attachments

• Tekna T-2100 Regulator.pdf
    598.7 KB · Views: 88
The complete manual is attached.

If the seat does not have very deep indentations, you may be able to resurface it by rubbing it on paper. Other than the seat, you just need a few o rings.

Looking at the corrosion on the outside, I suspect the inside of the piston cap may not be in very good shape and may not be salvageable. Have a look inside before you commit to purchasing any o rings.

Attachments

• Tekna Regulators.pdf
    10.5 MB · Views: 103
Thanks for all the responses. I've begun the journey.

I was pretty surprised with the condition of the insides of this thing. The piston looks good and most of the o-rings would probably be fine with just a lube but I'll replace them anyway.

Couple of further questions
-Any tips for getting the hard seat out without damage? I've tried using compressed air from behind but there is quite a bit of corrosion holding it in.

-Any tips for buffing up the chrome and getting that looking beautiful?

Attachments

• 20220302_174003.jpg
    20220302_174003.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 69
  • 20220302_174009.jpg
    20220302_174009.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 70
If the seat does not have very deep indentations, you may be able to resurface it by rubbing it on paper....

What sort of paper are we talking about here? Super fine emery cloth or are you actually talking about printer paper?

The seat has been used on both sides unfortunately so just turning it over won't suffice

Printer paper on a very flat surface. Like glass or a mirror. Move the seat in random directions with light pressure until seat surface is flat.

You may need to change paper a couple times. You can kind of feel when the paper is no longer polishing the seat as it gets more of a slippery feel on the paper. Switch to a new piece of paper at that point and you can feel it drag a little more. That means it's abraiding the seat surface again and not slipping on it.

-Any tips for getting the hard seat out without damage? I've tried using compressed air from behind but there is quite a bit of corrosion holding it in.
Place the seat and carrier in the yoke with the flat side toward the yoke screw. Install the yoke/seat carrier on the tank valve with a sealing washer between the two. Put a glove or cloth over the missile-->slowly turn on the air.

I would bet a Scubapro MK5/10 seat will work in that regulator.

@Nemrod will probably know for sure.

Edit: See this post ID of older first stage.

Thanks for all the responses. I've begun the journey.

I was pretty surprised with the condition of the insides of this thing. The piston looks good and most of the o-rings would probably be fine with just a lube but I'll replace them anyway.

Couple of further questions

-Any tips for buffing up the chrome and getting that looking beautiful?
From your first pics it looks like the hole that goes to the back of the seat is full of salt crystals so you may not have luck blowing out the seat until you get all that out of the hole. Try soaking over night in distilled water and then clearing the hole with a needle. Then try to blow out the seat.

If you need to dig it out to remove it, don't attempt that without a backup plan that includes a replacement seat that you know will fit. You might get it out without destroying it, but then again you might not.

You can clean up the chrome with 50:50 white vinegar and distilled water soak. Keep an eye on it and don't over do it because you can dissolve the chrome if you leave it in too long. Polishing chrome is difficult because it's very thin and if you try to polish it you can go too far and go right down to the brass pretty easily. Just do the vinegar soak and rinse. It will look pretty good after that.

Back
Top Bottom