Please help with gear choices!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aperdue

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi everyone. Just received my OW certification today and want to go ahead and put together my first set of gear, but I need help.

Regs : Aqualung titan lx
Zeagle Envoy

BCD: Tusa platina evolution
Zeagle Escape

Octo: Aqualung Calypso/Titan

Computer: Suunto Gekko

So far these are the ones I am looking at. In class, we used Aqualun titan lx's, but I hear nothing but great things about Zeagle. Also, I am looking at the Tusa BCD because we used the vest type, I have no experience with back inflate, but still, nothing but good heard about Zeagle. What thinks the people of ScubaBoard?
BTW warm water, 0-100ft is the plan.

Zeagle all the way for me. Had jackets for years, once you go back inflate or BP/W you won't go back IMO. I have a Suunto Stinger computer and love it also. Don't rush in that is the main thing.

I agree, I'm definetly a fan of back inflate or backplate and wing. Do you have the chance to test dive those 2 BC's? As for regs, I'm a HUGE supporter of Zeagle regs, I currently own 4 and expect to probably end up with a few more in the long run. The only suggestion I would make is consider the Envoy Deluxe if the budgets allows. It essentially uses the same second stage as their top end regs, but without the heatsink, which you don't need for warm water. I think you'll find it is a nicer breathing reg.

Enjoy your new gear!

Jim

Hi everyone. Just received my OW certification today and want to go ahead and put together my first set of gear, but I need help.

Regs : Aqualung titan lx
Zeagle Envoy

BCD: Tusa platina evolution
Zeagle Escape

Octo: Aqualung Calypso/Titan

Computer: Suunto Gekko

So far these are the ones I am looking at. In class, we used Aqualun titan lx's, but I hear nothing but great things about Zeagle. Also, I am looking at the Tusa BCD because we used the vest type, I have no experience with back inflate, but still, nothing but good heard about Zeagle. What thinks the people of ScubaBoard?
BTW warm water, 0-100ft is the plan.

I currently own 2 Titan LX, an Envoy Deluxe, an AL Calypso/Titan octo and 2 Gekkos.

Both of your reg choices will breath about equally, but the Titan, is much easier to find service for when out of (and often within) the US.

I have owned 1 and dived with several other Zeagle BC's, and I find them to be very high quality. I have no experience with Tusa BC's, but they are probably ok. In any BC, fit is verrry important.

The Calypso/Titan is a reliable and good breathing octo. But, if you decide on the Envoy, I would get an Envoy octo as well, to make servicing simpler, since not all Zeagle dealers service Aqualung.

In my opinion, the Gekko is the most reliable entry level computer.

Back
Top Bottom