Please Help? Which Regulator? Mares Abyss or Oceanic CDX5 and Neo 2nd stage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

weee

New
Reaction score
Hi,I've been a diving for 10 years but I'm just now getting my own equipment. I purchased both the Mares Abyss and the Oceanic CDX5 with Neo 2nd Stage and paid the same amount for each of them.

Now I don't know which one to keep since I can't afford to keep both of them. I'm looking for any guidance that would help me decide which one to keep. I'm mainly looking for one that will performance well, last awhile, and is flexible depending on dive conditions.

I've mainly dove in warm waters in the past but that may not dictate the future.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.Thanks!

Last edited:
Dive both of them. Use the one you think is better for the performance you are looking for & keep the other as a back- up.

Excellent advice.

Dive both, then use the one you like best as your primary set, and keep the other as a "backup" in your dive bag.

I own and service two Mares MR22 Abyss regs (and 7 other regulator sets :D ) and find them to be solid, reliable and easy to service. They are my "go to" regs. The Oceanics are also great regs.

If you've already paid for both sets, and your "significant other" is not threatening to leave you for buying two regs :D ... keep both.

If you are worried about the cost of maintaing two sets.... service them on alternate years.

Having a 2nd regulator set will double your maintenance costs.... but having a spare regulator set in your dive bag will be priceless if your primary set (or your buddy's!) "acts up" at a dive site. I've "saved" a dive day for another diver on more than one occaision by being able to lend them my spare regulator set.

Have fun with whatever your decide to do!

Best wishes.

The Oceainic CDX5 with NEO is better in my opinion. I have dove with it and it preforms great, you will get a lot of diving out of the CDX5. Very durable great reg. I would recomend getting a SeaCure mouth peice for it. They are well worth the money and makes all the differents. We have them in stock and you will need a number II to fit an Oceanic. Keep Wet.

Cheers

mares abyss for me
oceanic is rare up our way so can't compare
i have scuba pro,voit,aqua lungs also but abyss is fav
i'm all in for keeping both!!!!more is better.....
have fun
yaeg

Go with the Mares Abyss you'll be much better off. The Mares is a much better built regulator and is better for the cold water of your area.

Thanks for the great info but between the two, opinions seem to be six of one, half a dozen of another. What should I consider as the deciding factors.

BTW, I bought each of them for $200, new and warrantied. Is that a good deal for these regs? MSRP appears to have no bearing on actual value of the product.

$200 is a good price. The Mares Abyss retails for much more than that in a dive shop. You got a great deal.

Best wishes.

What should I consider as the deciding factors.

Ease of breathing in different environments (does it deliver the goods (air) when you demand it?) & at depth, weight, is it comfortable in the mouth? Is it too big or small? Does it rout the bubbles out of the way? Is it easily serviced in your area? Or if you DIY, are parts readily available? Last of all,.... does it look cool?:D:cool2::D

Back
Top Bottom