Question Please help to identify this creature - nudibranch? Flatworm?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do they taste any good when you fry them up, perhaps with a smattering of chilli
Mate, it is 2-3 cm long and looks to be paper thin

If you can upload a more high res image it would help
I tried, but upload process reduced the size of the file. Is there a way around it?

Lined Sole perhaps. The size, edges, color and movement sound right but cannot determine if there is an eye on the front. I have seen them a couple of times in the Cozumel.

(Edited to correct location and description)

I tried, but upload process reduced the size of the file. Is there a way around it?
Perhaps crop the image a bit more before uploading it.

Here is one I found this year in Cozumel Jan 2023. I identified it as black lined sole. I can't see lines in yours but it's moving. The tail on yours is not fan shaped but maybe, again, because it's moving. I have another similar one from 2021 in Cozumel that I identified as a naked sole. All these are very small and I don't see them often.

I attached this as full image. Maybe the resolution is better. For most photos I post on SB, the resolution drops.

Coz Jan 2023 Black Lined Sole 001.jpg

Here is one I found this year in Cozumel Jan 2023. I identified it as black lined sole. I can't see lines in yours but it's moving. The tail on yours is not fan shaped but maybe, again, because it's moving. I have another similar one from 2021 in Cozumel that I identified as a naked sole. All these are very small and I don't see them often.

I attached this as full image. Maybe the resolution is better. For most photos I post on SB, the resolution drops.

View attachment 773767
Saw another one today. It is even smaller than I thought it was. I also shot a video. Will have to figure out how to load it to YouTube…

Attachments

• 2616E222-D9CE-4E9F-9A87-F538F84E2E46.jpeg
    2616E222-D9CE-4E9F-9A87-F538F84E2E46.jpeg
    190.2 KB · Views: 47
  • E6410CAA-8EF4-4B7E-B373-835162483518.jpeg
    E6410CAA-8EF4-4B7E-B373-835162483518.jpeg
    167.4 KB · Views: 48
Saw another one today. It is even smaller than I thought it was. I also shot a video. Will have to figure out how to load it to YouTube…
Your second one with file name ending in 518 is very similar to the one I posted. I can see eyes on top and the size and tail appear the same. I say some kind of sole. Probably black lined but I am not 100% sure. My Humann and Deloach ID book does not have it and my cursory looks on internet ID sites suggest it is a sole but I haven't dived into that in depth. Many of these sites describe sole in pacific or more northern latitudes and the sole are much bigger (like eating size). I can't say what stage mine or yours is.

I fiddled around with it and got this far. Didn't really help me reach a conclusion, but although it looks like ColoDale's sole, it's spotted, not lined . . . ???

Ukmc's little fishy thing.jpg

Attachments

• Ukmc's little fishy thing.jpg
    Ukmc's little fishy thing.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 38
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom