Please help TIFF v. jpeg & C-5050

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

marpacifica

Contributor
Reaction score
Once upon a time in Micronesia, but now bubbling i
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi all,

I did a search on this and the closest relevant thread was from several months ago so maybe there are fresher ideas.
The older post said to save files as TIFF b/c the quality of enlargements was better. But it wasn't clear whether SHOOTING the photo in TIFF was better than as a .jpeg. Is this the case?

The reason I need to know is that I just got my first magazine photo assignment and the editor needs a higher resolution photo for a double page photo spread. My C-4000 isn't gonna cut it apparently so I've borrowed a friend's C-5050.

Does anyone with a 5050 have any tips on generating a magazine quality image? I don't have any experience in RAW files. The photoediting software I'm using is the basic Camedia Master program that came with my 4000, and it allows me to save and edit in .jpeg or .tif formats. My deadline is in about 10 hours so I won't be able to experiment with RAW, just .tif or .jpeg.

Thanks for your help.

TIFF is the highest quality as the image isn't compromised from compression. The camera automatically applies sharpening and WB control to TIFF images, however.
The RAW file format is straight off the CCD sensor. No in camera image modifications are done to RAW files but the settings are in stored in the file. Photoshop can use these settings or you can apply your own settings as you import the RAW image into Photoshop.
The JPG file format is a compressed image and some image quality is lost from the compression. Many people would never notice the difference but if you closely scrutinize the image, you'll see that there is some image quality loss.
Cjh

Thanks for the explanation, Clutchcargo. I'm not really up-to-date on all the technology, but appreciate that it does work. I thought that either TIFF or RAW was a straight from the CCD sensor, and now I know that it's RAW. I'll have to stick with the .tif file though and hopefully I can squeeze a decent image from it using just my basic photoediting software.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom