Question Need help upgrading from TG6 without going to full frame big rig

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do you know if the 12-40 II takes the same Nauticam port and gears as the older version of this lens? (With Nauticam housing of course)
I don’t know—good question, though. the zoom gear is pretty basic, except for being of the two-piece variety. The OG 12-40 needs the dome because it has a long external zoom, and the new one looks the same (isn’t the main difference better weatherproofing?). I’ll bet there are a lot of the Gen-1 lenses available used, although the dome’s pricey. It’s a bit of a pain to use—the body has to be secured in the housing without the lens, which then mounts to the body, next fitting the dome over the lens. But I think the range and IQ are great.

So, how does it work? What lens should I use in the camera, and with which houseing do I use which wet lenses? As you can tell, I know nothing about this.
Certain housings work with certain ports, so you buy what fits—the housing is the driver. I use what I think are probably the most common lenses for 4/3 cameras—8, 12-40, and 60, and the 30 macro for blackwater/bonfire. I have a 10x wet optic, but have a hard time with it—the working distance is pretty small—and the 60 is really good. So out of a dozen daytime Caribbean dives, I’ll use the 12-40 in about six, the 60 in ~four, and the fisheye in one or two. Night dives—the 60. I haven’t used wet wide optics with the 4/3 bodies—the corners are said to be unsharp, and it’s hard enough to get good pictures anyway. There are crazy-good wet lenses for full-frame cameras, but they’re really heavy and wildly expensive.

But there’s another thing. Your Backscatter mini-strobe will only be useful for closeup and macro (for which it’s terrific). So unless you’re happy with ambient light, anything wider than that (maybe two or three feet from the subject) would need more light for much chance of a stable shot. Meaning strobes . . . And you’re off to the races. Backscatter has a lot of good videos about all this.

I don’t know—good question, though. the zoom gear is pretty basic, except for being of the two-piece variety. The OG 12-40 needs the dome because it has a long external zoom, and the new one looks the same (isn’t the main difference better weatherproofing?). I’ll bet there are a lot of the Gen-1 lenses available used, although the dome’s pricey. It’s a bit of a pain to use—the body has to be secured in the housing without the lens, which then mounts to the body, next fitting the dome over the lens. But I think the range and IQ are great.

Thank you.

I sent emails to Backscatter and Nauticam last night asking them this question. Backscatter replied back saying that they are checking with Nauticam:)

I'll report back once I heard back from them.

So back up a second. You want to shoot macro and wide angle, you want to move up in IQ, AF etc from (the pretty good) TG6, and you are experienced in photo/video tech. My guess is that you won't be satisfied with half measures and would be happier with a FF Canon/Nikon/SONY system. If expense is an issue, there are some really good used systems for resale here and in other forums. If weight and packing volume is an issue, well, even a compact system with housing, strobes, multiple lenses, etc. will require a dedicated bag.

Both AOI and Isotta have housings for the OM-5 I believe, but for the same money the OM-1 will be quite a bit better (and smaller).
Bill
Why the OM-1 would be smaller, if it's the bigger camera of the two, it's because of the design of the housings? I could upgrade to the OM-1, seems a great camers, except for the white balance, is teh only thing that worries me.

So back up a second. You want to shoot macro and wide angle, you want to move up in IQ, AF etc from (the pretty good) TG6, and you are experienced in photo/video tech. My guess is that you won't be satisfied with half measures and would be happier with a FF Canon/Nikon/SONY system. If expense is an issue, there are some really good used systems for resale here and in other forums. If weight and packing volume is an issue, well, even a compact system with housing, strobes, multiple lenses, etc. will require a dedicated bag.
Yes I know I want to have it all and that's not possible, I'm looking to be informed by you guys and girls so I can find the best trade offs for me.
I do understand your point, but I can settle for a m43 sensor, I have done it for topside photography and it served my well.
I would love going full frame, but space and weight are a concern as well, as telephoto reach, which is great on m43. It's easier to justify the expense if I also use it for topside wildlife.
I'm a bit of a nomad right now which put more constrains on portability. Reading all the comments here I'm beginning to think about a OM-5 or OM-1 (or a Panasonic?) with the smallest housing I can find and just one lens and two wet lenses for macro and wide. Then If needed it can grow to dedicated lenses, ports and dome. Sound reasonable?

Both AOI and Ikelite have surprisingly-compact, and surprisingly-cheap, housings for the mkii. Ikelite is now selling TTL units which work with the housing, as well as vacuum kits.As to ports, it just depends. You can use the Panasonic 8mm fisheye with a 4” dome, very wide of course, but surprising for close work also. I assume you have the 60 macro, which takes a flat port which isn’t too large; my Nauticam port is threaded for wet optics and I assume the Ikelite is also given the popularity of super close-up optics. You’d likely want a second strobe if you use the fisheye, but the results can be great.

having the fisheye and the 60 leaves out a lot of range, of course. A go-to lens for Olympus users is the 12-40 pro. With Nauticam kit, it requires a dome, which as you note is big and heavy. Given the popularity of that lens, Ikelite or AOI may support it; however, the 12-50 “kit” lens gives decent results.

if you’re happy with your Mkii these seem like options worth exploring In addition to the Olympus housing.
I have the 60 macro, love that lens, but I think that going 2 domes, 3 ports right now is a bit too much for me, Would the quality be horrible if I use a normal lens and macro and wide angle lenses?

Certain housings work with certain ports, so you buy what fits—the housing is the driver. I use what I think are probably the most common lenses for 4/3 cameras—8, 12-40, and 60, and the 30 macro for blackwater/bonfire. I have a 10x wet optic, but have a hard time with it—the working distance is pretty small—and the 60 is really good. So out of a dozen daytime Caribbean dives, I’ll use the 12-40 in about six, the 60 in ~four, and the fisheye in one or two. Night dives—the 60. I haven’t used wet wide optics with the 4/3 bodies—the corners are said to be unsharp, and it’s hard enough to get good pictures anyway. There are crazy-good wet lenses for full-frame cameras, but they’re really heavy and wildly expensive.

But there’s another thing. Your Backscatter mini-strobe will only be useful for closeup and macro (for which it’s terrific). So unless you’re happy with ambient light, anything wider than that (maybe two or three feet from the subject) would need more light for much chance of a stable shot. Meaning strobes . . . And you’re off to the races. Backscatter has a lot of good videos about all this.
Have you posted anywhere all your setup? So I can get an idea, I would have to buy the 8, but I have the 12-40 pro and the 60. Is not cleqr hoy many ports and domes, etc I would have to buy an lug around in order to use this 3 lenses? And how will it compare to have just the 12-40 and wet lenses?

I was wrong about the om-5 dimensions, it just looked bigger because of the large bump on top for the built in flash. I have for sale a complete isotta setup for the OMD EM1 mark III. You could use this with one port only (for the macro lens) and use the Kraken add on WA lens and you would be completely set. One camera, one lens,one port and one water contact lens and you have everything covered.
Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom